1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Just gly’d this so i can start over with better seed!

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Garrett1234, Aug 8, 2019.

1. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

I doubt 3 50# bags of "some chicken manure / micronutrient blah blah" applied to 17.98 acres will have any effect.

2. OP
    OP
    Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Senior Member

Gotcha. The lawn size being reno’d Is about 12k sq ft. Maybe 11k. But somewhere right in there. Sorry. Didn’t understand the question properly. It’s a granular “chicken manure granular” type thing.
    I’m sure that’s a terrible description however it’s their form of working on the micronutrients. Sounds good. Maybe it’s a milorganite type deal? I’ll post the label when I pick it up.

hort101 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Garrett1234

57A3AE82-E6DA-47CA-93F0-5F33A7B9B9BD.jpeg
    One week gly update photo.

4. OP
    OP
    Garrett1234

Hi y’all. A quick question.
    My seed is not going to arrive in time for seeding this weekend (I wanted to get whole project finished this weekend)
    Since I can’t. Is it okay to:
    Spread compost first
    Then aerate
    Then seed and drag at some point next week when seed arrives. Wanted to get at least aerating and composting done this weekend unless that’s just a bad idea?
    Or aerate then compost and then wait for seed to arrive next week for seeding and dragging?
    If I’m better to aerate, seed, then compost, I’ll just wait. But wanted to ask at least
    Thank much

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Gly is working--sweet, I don't see any green spots. Just an opinion--I think you are fine to compost (about a quarter-inch), then aerate. Spread seed and drag when seed arrives.
    If you want to apply starter fert before seed arrives, that is also fine. Don't forget additional "grow-in" fertilizer at week 3 and 6, (according to soil tests). Try to use about 50 percent slow-release coated nitrogen, XCU, for instance. Excess growth at this stage is acceptable--right?
    Use more seed to compensate for less than ideal conditions.
    Compost does not substitute for water--nor for fertility.
    Chicken pellets OK. Before seed--sure why not? A complete-type soil test will reveal if any micro-nutrients are lacking--not common.
    Don't bother to hand-pull annual weeds or crabgrass--cold will stop these weeds. Perennial weeds may need attention if any survived the glyphosate treatments.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Garrett1234 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Garrett1234

Thanks Riggle. In my head the compost prior to aerate made sense due to a “rototilling” effect of the compost into the soil through the use of the aerator. Glad you said that as it makes sense.
    Absolutely on starter fert also!
    I’m regards to seed rate. I ordered 125# of seed. 100# tttf and 25# Kbg. Area between 11 and 12k sq ft. So just going to throw it all down. I’m also going to order a couple 5 pound bags of each so I can patch up the areas that don’t come in (which always seems to happen).
    I’ll keep ya posted through this thread and take progress photos.
    Weather here is pretty stable, should stay that way, we are a coastal area without a lot of fluctuations during the next couple months. Mid to high 50’a at night and mid 70’s during the day.

hort101 likes this.
  7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Here is a link to Dr Leah Brilman's article on overseeding. But it is for Bermuda grass in Phoenix--not the same--but it might be helpful. Check out her advice for grass tennis courts.

8. OP
    OP
    Garrett1234

Hi riggle. Nothing attached.

9. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

Your plan to apply compost and aerate now then seed & drag later should work just fine.

hort101 and Garrett1234 like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Garrett1234

Thanks phasthound. Appreciate that!