Just gly’d this so i can start over with better seed!

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Garrett1234, Aug 8, 2019.

1. 2 Cycle

2 Cycle LawnSite Senior Member

cool thread! Can’t wait to see how you do. Mulling a similar move here at my house, only 1/2 acre though lol

hort101 likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Senior Member

Today’s agenda: one last pass at lowest setting: push mower bag. Gunna take a while.
    Sprinkler review: Just run and see if anything outta whack. Easy to tear up now prior to all the effort / time about To input.
    Apply compost
    Tomorrow: Aerate Ararat aerate and more aeration

hort101 likes this.
  3. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

You might be interested in the link in this thread good info on cultural practices and compost
    https://www.lawnsite.com/threads/please-help-me.481868/page-4

4. OP
    OP
    Garrett1234

Thanks Hort. Going to read now

hort101 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Garrett1234

E6664498-017B-490F-A7ED-B3817887AFDD.jpeg
    Well compost finished. This is just a photo for reference on composted vs non composted. Now: To share what i learned. Used the bucket to drop spread best I could the compost. Then used a landscape rake to spread it out. After an hour and barely getting anywhere I had to pull my head out my arse and find a way to use the machinery. Attached drag to bucket and didn’t do much at all. So I tried back dragging with the bucket and boom, problem solved. I feel like such an idiot for not starting that way. I remembered a photo I saw once of a couple guys loading dirt in a front end loader bucket with shovels (fools right). And thought of how I must look raking that in with a tractor parked right there. So had to think a little harder I guess!

hort101 likes this.
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.sroseed.com/Files/Files/..._Overseeding/How_To_Overseed_Bermudagrass.pdf

Dr Leah Brilman article about over seeding; (true its for Bermuda.) Sorry, the link evaporated yesterday.

Compost spread out and looking good. Necessity is the mother of invention, right!
    Now get rid of that landscape rake--it will cause blisters on your hands.
    Plenty of seed --in case not all of it takes hold.
    Don't blame me if you get too much grass.

Garrett1234 and hort101 like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Garrett1234

6B803492-B659-4CC1-8112-35E200B99651.jpeg
    10 total man hours (2 walk behind aerators). Approx 5 to 6 passes. I am not seeding for a few days. But getting compost down prior to aeration appears to have “rototilled” for lack of a better word the compost into the existing soil. It actually seems like an amazing seedbed!
    Going to throw down 50# of Anderson’s humic, starter fert, and tenacity next. Then seed in a few days. Can’t speak for results and germination but based off of the appearance I have high hopes.

hort101 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Garrett1234

A703E273-E06B-4F07-8510-0FC98599BC8D.jpeg
    Sidenote. This is the blend and variety I’m going with. This is my March seeding I did this year. Figured the fellas are running the aerators, might as well have them make two passes. Because this turf has held up so grea during summer and is so lush and green I decided to replace the originally posted project area.

hort101 likes this.
  9. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Gold Member

That will look great. (your reno) Your going to see the benefits of the compost right away with the high germination rate you'll get. Remember to get at least 3 pounds of N per 1000 square feet down this year. (this includes the starter) It will make a huge difference. Time your fert with rain so it gets watered in. Put down 1 pound of N per 1000 next spring and that's all the fertilizer you'll need til' next fall. I hope you get lucky with the rain.

hort101 likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Garrett1234

Hi agrostis. I’m fully irrigated so water not an issue fortunately. THank you for fert tips. So starter (full app) on day one. Starter again on week three (after some germ kicks in) ar half rate. What I did before (this from memory, but need to check my notes) was about week 7ish using my regular synthetic at 1/4 to 1/2 rates every 4 ish weeks for a while. Just spoon feeding it up. I have such sandy soil that it leaches through so quickly.