Just gly’d this so i can start over with better seed!

OP
G

Garrett1234

LawnSite Senior Member
Today’s agenda: one last pass at lowest setting: push mower bag. Gunna take a while.
Sprinkler review: Just run and see if anything outta whack. Easy to tear up now prior to all the effort / time about To input.
Apply compost
Tomorrow: Aerate Ararat aerate and more aeration

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
OP
G

Garrett1234

LawnSite Senior Member
E6664498-017B-490F-A7ED-B3817887AFDD.jpeg

Well compost finished. This is just a photo for reference on composted vs non composted. Now: To share what i learned. Used the bucket to drop spread best I could the compost. Then used a landscape rake to spread it out. After an hour and barely getting anywhere I had to pull my head out my arse and find a way to use the machinery. Attached drag to bucket and didn’t do much at all. So I tried back dragging with the bucket and boom, problem solved. I feel like such an idiot for not starting that way. I remembered a photo I saw once of a couple guys loading dirt in a front end loader bucket with shovels (fools right). And thought of how I must look raking that in with a tractor parked right there. So had to think a little harder I guess!

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
http://www.sroseed.com/Files/Files/..._Overseeding/How_To_Overseed_Bermudagrass.pdf

Dr Leah Brilman article about over seeding; (true its for Bermuda.) Sorry, the link evaporated yesterday.

Compost spread out and looking good. Necessity is the mother of invention, right!
Now get rid of that landscape rake--it will cause blisters on your hands.
Plenty of seed --in case not all of it takes hold.
Don't blame me if you get too much grass.

OP
G

Garrett1234

LawnSite Senior Member
6B803492-B659-4CC1-8112-35E200B99651.jpeg

10 total man hours (2 walk behind aerators). Approx 5 to 6 passes. I am not seeding for a few days. But getting compost down prior to aeration appears to have “rototilled” for lack of a better word the compost into the existing soil. It actually seems like an amazing seedbed!
Going to throw down 50# of Anderson’s humic, starter fert, and tenacity next. Then seed in a few days. Can’t speak for results and germination but based off of the appearance I have high hopes.

OP
G

Garrett1234

LawnSite Senior Member
A703E273-E06B-4F07-8510-0FC98599BC8D.jpeg

Sidenote. This is the blend and variety I’m going with. This is my March seeding I did this year. Figured the fellas are running the aerators, might as well have them make two passes. Because this turf has held up so grea during summer and is so lush and green I decided to replace the originally posted project area.

agrostis

LawnSite Gold Member
That will look great. (your reno) Your going to see the benefits of the compost right away with the high germination rate you'll get. Remember to get at least 3 pounds of N per 1000 square feet down this year. (this includes the starter) It will make a huge difference. Time your fert with rain so it gets watered in. Put down 1 pound of N per 1000 next spring and that's all the fertilizer you'll need til' next fall. I hope you get lucky with the rain.

OP
G

Garrett1234

LawnSite Senior Member
Hi agrostis. I’m fully irrigated so water not an issue fortunately. THank you for fert tips. So starter (full app) on day one. Starter again on week three (after some germ kicks in) ar half rate. What I did before (this from memory, but need to check my notes) was about week 7ish using my regular synthetic at 1/4 to 1/2 rates every 4 ish weeks for a while. Just spoon feeding it up. I have such sandy soil that it leaches through so quickly.