Just gly’d this so i can start over with better seed!

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Garrett1234, Aug 8, 2019.

1. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Gold Member

I disagree. If you have automatic irrigation then you don't need extra seed. In fact, too much seed means that the grass plants (or any plant) are overcrowded and not as healthy as they could be.

Fungus is much more of a issue because crowded plants can't dry out as quickly as they should. The root mass can't reach it's proper size because of over-crowding.

You probably don't notice all of this because your more northerly. But if you were trying to grow a cool season grass in a warmer location then that tactic would work against you.

Plant density is important. But that's just my opinion.
    (and a lot of others too)

KerbDMK likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Senior Member

Hello agrostis. By no means do I think you are wrong in your writing. Almost Everything I have read or watched or learned agrees with you 100%. However, possibly as you mentioned, my climate tolerates it better than other regions. I’m a coastal climate. So that could the reason I haven’t experienced the Ill effects of heavy seeding. My biggest concern with OVER seeding was plant competition in turn causing a poor overall take. However, after using bag rate vs OVER rate I find the OVER rate creates better turf here. I just aerated my March planting (having OVER seeded) this region as my test, and analyzed the plugs as the root structure was surpassing what I had imagined it would be.
    Possibly I’m just fortunate on that test piece. But I’m going to stick with that method until I can see the negative impact it has.
    But I don’t think you are wrong for the masses. Too many agree with your approach for it to be wrong.

3. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Bronze Member

What you are doing is actually not an over-seed, it's a full renovation, also known as a new seeding. You should be using seed at the suggested new seeding rate. :)

hort101 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Garrett1234

Correct. I am not treating this as an overseeding. Im treating it as a full Reno. I’m calling it OVER seeding. As in OVER applying seed beyond bag rate. Therefore an OVER seed. I will keep this thread posted on the results. But will be OVER seeding this portion even though conventional wisdom states it’s a poor idea. The results speak for itself and I can’t go with bag rate since the higher app rate yielding such great results.

hort101 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Garrett1234

Just a slight update on a change of plan. Sunday is seeding day.
    I was laying out the upcoming steps on paper to make sure I allow enough time and don’t miss anything.
    So out of complete laziness, i purchased the scotts starter with mesotrione instead of applying the tenacity I already have.
    Figured it eliminates mixing / walking/ tank cleaning/ basically another step. Obviously will keep you updated on the results compared to the tenacity app.
    I think this also changes week 3”ish” and 7”ish” starter app fert ideas as that would have applied basically the yearly rate of mesotrione in the first 3 apps. Will use Riggles suggestion on fert listed above in this thread for the “grow in” phase.

Sidenote: Soil moisture at seeding? Before applying seed, should I run water or no? Thinking a dry ground would make raking in the seed easier? But adding slight moisture for the roll on stage? Or would that make it too sticky and cake seed/soil onto the rollers?

Thanks again y’all

6. agrostis

No need to water, the ground will work easier not being wet. When is your first frost date ?

7. OP
    OP
    Garrett1234

Thanks agrostis. We don’t have those here. Not to say we don’t get cold and freezing nights, but we swim on thanksgiving still and have pretty mild weather. I heard this many years ago, and I’m not saying I’ve ever researched this to be true, so only repeating it. We are located in one of only 7 mediterranean climates in the world like ours. True or not, it’s pretty mild weather

hort101 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Garrett1234

94DD7777-8F01-4E04-AD4F-8C97FC7105DE.png
    This is our weather. For the most part at least

9. agrostis

And here i was thinking i was talking to someone in New Hampshire. You do have the extended fall. And it's so dry. That's what makes the difference. You don't have nearly the same turf disease pressure that the eastern part of the country has.

Growing grass in that part of the world is a little easier. (if you have the water) And it sounds like you have plenty. My cousin, who lives 80 miles south of you, has faucets that on some days don't work at all. That would truly hurt, i like good water pressure.

hort101 likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Garrett1234

Sorry. Yes, definately not in NH. The fungus has been a bit of a pain this year but the pressure is not as bad. Correct for sure. Where about 80 miles south. That’s wild to hear!