1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Just got robbed. Any of y'all using gps tracking??????

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by stankers, Feb 6, 2015.

1. DXN1EL

DXN1EL LawnSite Silver Member
    from TEXAS

You mean a thief needs to get a hand cut. That would be justice right there :waving:

Kyle62690 likes this.
  2. N.E.MCH

N.E.MCH LawnSite Member

I too have been robbed........sucks. I did post a link for an option but it was the wrong one so I edited this.......I'll try to get the right one

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  3. Earthquake Landscaping

Earthquake Landscaping LawnSite Member

A phone for tracking is dead easy to do.. I have 2 solar panels on the roof, they run into a 12 volt battery, in a box, in the trailer. The cell phone is wired to the 12 volt battery, and draws far less current than the solar panels provide. The battery has way more reserve than is needed for a cell phone connected to a charger 24/7. The phone runs an app called " find my phone", the phone is on, the app is running, and the phone is hidden. To a thief, it'd just look like a 12 volt battery to run the interior lights and cordless battery charger. Chances of them finding the phone before I found them... zero..

Total cost:

My old S3. worth about $75.00

2 solar panels on sale $45.00

12 volt battery ( like in an emergency light ) $35.00

Tube of silicone, wiring, wood for the battery enclosure. $20.00

2 hours of my time.. N/C

All in for less than $200.00

Ongoing expense..

Cell plan .. $25.00 per month.

Knowing I can fire up the app on my phone and locate my trailer ... priceless..

The hardest decision you'd have to make?

Whether to find it by yourself, with a few large friends, and go " Buford Pusser" on the miscreant, or call the cops and tell them where it is, and watch the bust.

Personally, I'd bring my buds, my genny, compressor and plasma cutter.. Whatever towed it away wouldn't be identifiable when I left with my trailer.

Only shortcoming? If you're in a rural area, with patchy cell coverage.. you're SOL if the trailer is in an area with no cell service from your provider.

United Contracting likes this.
  4. Aussie-Gardener

Aussie-Gardener LawnSite Member

I run a cheap android phone with mycartracks.com
    Get the cheapest deal for data and disable all smart phone features that are not needed to save data.
    Bye a micro usb to 12v adapter and hide it on your ZTR.
    Then the ZTR and trailer are traceable

5. Charles

Charles Moderator, Friend, Angel

I think it has been proven here that you cannot safely store all of your business on any kind of a trailer. Trailers are a hot ticket item with thieves. Taking equipment with them is just a bonus. I see equipment loaded trailers, with no fencing, sitting in yards all over town. Yea it is a sad reflection on our society today. People stealing anything and everything to feed their drug habits, laziness etc. Not many want their Taxes raised again to house these morons in jail.
    Storing in buildings are not full proof but still better than trailers imo. One more thing we have to consider before going into lawn care. I have had equipment stolen and it is a terrible experience. You can never let your guard down. I think we ought to put GPS on known thieves. A GPS bracelet.

6. gusbuster

gusbuster LawnSite Silver Member

Then you can get lucky my friend.

True story.....

Friend of mine had his Bobcat and mini trencher which were on a trailer stolen. It had happen over the weekend and the police figured it was an inside job since there were no forced entry to the warehouse and the gates were not compromised.

His warehouse is located in San Carlos which is on the San Francisco Peninsula. 4 days later he gets a phone call to come and get his trailer in Stockton (85 miles east) or it was going to be towed. Apparently the thief which ended up being a former worker had stopped at a pipe supply place and because he couldn't fit the truck with the trailer in the yard, he parked it in the street, next to a painted red curb (CA, no parking any time) which the reason the curb was painted red was that it was front of the exit/entrance to the Stockton California Highway Patrol. He told the arresting officer that he didn't think the c.h.p. gave parking tickets.

7. hemiman

hemiman LawnSite Member
    from Earth

Check out this company GPS&track.com

bob likes this.
  8. Willy0919

Willy0919 LawnSite Member

I know that some of you have already came to the conclusion that thieves are targeting enclosed trailers, not just the lawn care trades but all trades, because they are full of high demand merchandise. Stealing the entire trailer and contents is easier than moving the individual pieces separately. Very efficient.

And, "most" thefts of this nature have some "inside" connection. Someone who works there sees how easy it would be; someone knows that there is no security system there; someone in the neighborhood who sees the comings and goings on a regular basis.

If you are going to store your equipment inside of the trailer and then leave the trailer outside, add multiple additional security measures to make it difficult for a thief. 1) Motion detectors/lights 2)Wheel clamps 3) Coupler locks 3) Motion activated alarm installed on trailer (this is a cheap and easy install -a hidden on/off switch that only you know about - alarm activated by motion/mercury bulb switch, can set off siren and flash/alternate all lights - a real attention getter. 4) Disconnect from tow vehicle, or place wheel clamp on tow vehicle also. 5) Do all of the above and park inside locked building that has video surveillence.

You will not stop a thief if he really wants something, but if he has to jump through several hurdles he might just pass your's up for an easier hit.

9. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

That sucks, man. I feel for you.

We have our enclosed trailers locked, hooked up to our pickups (with a lock on the hitch), trucks are locked. All that inside a 20,000 sq. ft. shop that is locked, all inside a private property in the country that has a locked front gate.

I do have GPS on the trucks, but not the trailers.

But even with all that, insurance is your best protection. I would spend more in monthly fees putting GPS on all of our trailers than I would to make sure they are just insured as part of our overall insurance package. Just make sure you're insured for theft and that your deductible isn't crazy high. Then you're set.

FSP and RFT-Jack like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    stankers

stankers LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the replies. It was a tough lesson learned. Insurance is certainly the way to go. It was parked at my partners house behind a locked a gate with a lock in the tongue. Both were cut. I honestly think they were just interested in the trailer and everything inside was a bonus. About 15k worth of bonus. I have a friend who owns a car dealer up the road thats has them leaving on camera.
    Its a black early 2000's suburban, but in SC we dont have front license plates so it doesnt really do us any good. It actually makes it worse seeing someone driving away with your livelihood. If anyone in the South Carolina area sees a 60" Lazer Z, 36" scag walk behind, a bunch of fs80 weedeaters, and shindaiwa 633 and 802 blowers for sale let me know. haha
    Thanks

LawnEffects likes this.