1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Just got robbed. Any of y'all using gps tracking??????

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by stankers, Feb 6, 2015.

1. rogerdodger

rogerdodger LawnSite Member

gpsandtrackcom

2. John Deere 05

John Deere 05 LawnSite Member

I Trac 2.0. $199.00. $10.00. Every three months to track

3. DavidsonLandscaping

DavidsonLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Well I'm sorry for everyone's losses. Thiefs are part of our daily lives. I recommened the cell phone tracking in another post, it was shot down, because people belived that it was to easy to find. To protect your self from anybody in this world your best chance is to think like them. Trailers/equipment get stolen all the time. Next time you park your rig, in the city or country, walk back 50 feet and look around you. What do you see? Any cameras, fences, dogs, lighting? Come back at night and walk the property. Pretend your the thief. You put your hard work into what you have, why not second guess your routine. Gps, fine I get that. Why not diconnect your trailer hitch from the pin, take off your lugnuts on the trailer, kill switch for all electric for truck and trailer, disconnect the trucks tranny line so it stays in park. Simple things, you got lights, fence and locks, nothing new/challeging to a thief. If he loses all trailer tires driving off, he's not going that far, trucks won't move? Sure they will take something but by then they will be in panic to get out of there. If you call yourself a pro thief you shouldn't be on the property no longer than 4/5 minutes. Do somthing different that will slow them down. My trailer is backed into my garage everyday. Garage door is locked, trailer is missing a rim, axle is chained to the floor. Electric light is cut off inside the building. Truck is backed into garage door. Is it thief proof, no. Esp seeing that I just told youmy set up. But it will slow someone down. Putting money down if the trailer is pulled, its going to drop and be stuck on the floor not moving easy. Not making it worth while for a second return. Just something to think about, might be a pain doing this daily, but making your investment work, in a high crime area, might make you less of a target.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  4. chefj

chefj LawnSite Senior Member

5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I tell ya what, I hate thieves so bad that if that happened to me, I'd be combing the neighborhoods for a 3-mile radius around that area for a black suburban that looked like that. Then for every one I found I'd start watching that house, driving by frequently, looking for any clues, etc. I'd probably waste 20 hrs a week of my spare time looking for them. I just can't stand the thought of thieves getting away with crap like this.

Another thing to consider is looking into previous employees. It sounds to me like they knew what they were looking for and they knew when it would be left unattended. And there's decent percentage chance that could be someone who is familiar with your operation. So I'd be doing some P.I. stuff on any ex-employees I suspected as well.

This whole thing sucks. Makes me sick. I just wanna catch someone red handed one day in the process of trying to steal something from me. And God willing I'll be packing at the time or have a bat handy. I may go to jail temporarily but I bet I'd make bail quick and I bet I'd win the trial. Aside from the fact that I can afford the best attorney (hehe) I also know ain't nobody gonna convict a guy who's getting his stuff stolen and protecting his own.

6. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

Couldnt you do the same thing by using the truck battery to charge the phone?

7. Earthquake Landscaping

Earthquake Landscaping LawnSite Member

Having a battery in the trailer, powered by the solar panels, means that it'll never run dead, and I don't need the trailer to be hooked up to have interior lights.

I don't plow in the winter, so the trailer may sit longer than the battery would last. Also, it takes a deep cycle battery to last any amount of time if it's being flattened even partially on a regular basis. The $45.00 for the solar panels did 2 things, they meant I didn't need an expensive battery, and I would know that it'll never go dead. It was probably cheaper to have the solar panels and a regular battery.

The solar panels are siliconed to the roof.. they can't be seen without a ladder. I popped out the roof vent to install them, and just ran the wiring back along with the wiring for the interior lights, you'd never notice it.

8. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

Nice man. What if you store your trailer inside and the phone turns off?

9. Earthquake Landscaping

Earthquake Landscaping LawnSite Member

I don't have an "inside" to store it in.. It's outside 24/7 .. even with snow over the panels and cloudy short winter days, it hasn't died yet..

I did the math, based on battery capacity and current draw, and it should be at least a couple of weeks if someone grabbed it and it was inside.

10. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

what about the wheel locks that parking enforcement use? anyone use those?