1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Just got robbed. Any of y'all using gps tracking??????

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by stankers, Feb 6, 2015.

1. GDenisonTX

GDenisonTX LawnSite Member

hort101 likes this.
  2. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Thumbs UpGreat story lock em up throw away the key !!:)

3. BrianDigsFla

BrianDigsFla LawnSite Member

I'm probably behind the curve here, but this topic is near and dear to my heart. We have GPS Tracking Devices on all the high dollar toys. The first and most pleasant result was a nice rebate check from our insurance company. They were as excited as I was to learn that GPS Trackers were installed

The service is $60 bucks a year and the device I think was just north of $250. But the really cool thing is you can set up GEO fences for jobs or storage locations. Also you can GEO fence major intersections "Out of Town" so when the bad guys blow thru the geo fence at the I-65 on ramp,etc. It's like a big trip wire,you'll get txts or emails or both. Also, the device will run on it's own for 3 hours once the power is cut. Say they swipe the battery out of the Bobcat. I'll get a "Power Disconnect" Txt and email immediately. So at the very least I know someone is screwing with our machines. The GEO Fences are actually kind of fun to set up. AND you can have as many users be notified as you like. So if I don't see or hear a ZONE ALERT Ping my phone or email I know there are 5 other people who did. Another cool part about this is you don't have to wait a day to two to find out your stuff is gone and then try to find it on the GPS map. You can deploy the Cops, or just jump in the truck and take your Glock for a little late night stroll. And go ask politely for your equipment back. The system we have employs both Cell tower (VZN) and GPS in combination, so if the final resting place is a chop shop or big metal building or garage or storage container bound for mexico you can still POP the bad guys.

Luckily we haven't had any problems, but I could never sleep again with out it. The peace of mind is worth the cost of admission.

Cheers,

BC

JLSLLC and hort101 like this.
  4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Did you have a ball lock and a wheel boot on?

hort101 likes this.
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

$60 a year total per unit?

What service is that, because that's extremely reasonable.

RussellB, JLSLLC and kemco like this.
  6. Mtrprts

Mtrprts LawnSite Member

I am using spy tec on my stumpgrinder. Here is the link.
    http://www.spytecinc.com/gl-200-rea...ucFBDC7CJgB3Z67r48qsyfFS4ld4o4VxoCN6IQAvD_BwE
    $49 on amazon with $25 per month fee. Very pleased with it. You can set up geo fences and have text sent to your phone. Also it keeps a mileage log which comes on handy at the end of the year for anybody using mileage on their tax deductions. It's very accurate to within 5 feet. I have mine hidden in the engine compartment and hardwired in. Very cheap insurance for piece of mind.

7. kemco

kemco LawnSite Bronze Member

BrianDigsFla yes please tell that's a great price. I've got a tracker on my mow truck at about $150 for the unit and $17.99 a month I believe. I'd like to add to one of my trailers and both zeros but at about $20 a month it's a little cost prohibitive.

RussellB and JLSLLC like this.
  8. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Wish he'd come back and share more info. I'm also curious what service this is.

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

LOL, I was just going to look through this thread, thought I might have missed his reply.

RussellB likes this.
  10. Grassholes

Grassholes LawnSite Senior Member

I love water boarding

Mow-Daddy.com likes this.