Just how do you subcontract mowing, etc?

Ijustwantausername

LawnSite Silver Member
I get a call every now and then for something I can't do, or either don't have the equipment to do. Normally I tell the customer no and they go on and we have a nice day. Now I'd like to consider subcontracting. How do you subcontract? Is it worth it for MAYBE 2 times per month? How exactly does it work?

Case in point, had a guy call today, wanted his leaves vacuumed and hauled. I remove leaves by means of a leaf blower, mulching, relocating to woods on their property, and bagging if the yard is small enough. I don't have a nice vacuum rig just yet. So could I have subcontracted that out?

Thanks for advice

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
i dunno...i personally don't mess with it ...i just state how i handle leaves and they can take it or leave it...i don't see why a certain method would be a deal breaker...leaves gone is the objective and that's the end result lol.....i don't understand how it works myself with subcontracting....if you called someone else to do it then the customer could just hire them directly and pay less...all they would have to say is no that's too much to your bid and then call the other company directly to hire them or call another company to come do the job.

JNyz

LawnSite Bronze Member
Subcontracting is a great way to increase business. I personally do about 100k in sub work a year. Most subs would not even be interested in stealing a client. Why steal a client and never get anymore work from that person again? All you have to do is call the contractor that does that type of work, get a proposal from him and give your client a proposal of at least 30 percent more. Then you collect, pay your sub and you keep the change. simple.

ralph02813

LawnSite Bronze Member
I did some sub contract work when I was doing this part time and trying to build my own business the contractor basically kept 20% of what he charge folks, he paid me at the end of every week, cash money. As it turns out, I now have 3 of those customers - he gave them to me - he said by not wasteing his time running to that part of town, he was able to build up his business a little more where he is concentrated.
On the other hand, I sub out a small portion of a clean up job this year, never ever again with the guy I did it with - stupid me I didn't spend enough time looking at the kind of work he did.

meets1

LawnSite Gold Member
I think anytime a client ask for "service work" that is related to your opertaion - with or without equipment, you tell them no problem. I can handle that. Just dont price the job just yet. Then (i asumme your cell phone book is full of contacts) call them, tell them about the job, set it, your sub bills you, you bill client - now client likes that cuz your now i step closer to one stop shop for these people. oh = make you sure you mark the sub's work up.

ralph02813

LawnSite Bronze Member
I think anytime a client ask for "service work" that is related to your opertaion - with or without equipment, you tell them no problem. I can handle that. Just dont price the job just yet. Then (i asumme your cell phone book is full of contacts) call them, tell them about the job, set it, your sub bills you, you bill client - now client likes that cuz your now i step closer to one stop shop for these people. oh = make you sure you mark the sub's work up.
Great advice, it is very important that your customer sees you as their contact for getting things done. I made $500.00 on two roof jobs - I referred them to the guy who did mine - free money!

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
i guess if you know someone and their work then ok...but if they do a bad job then you are the one that gets blamed for it so make sure you know who you sub to does a good job first.. i don't know anyone else in the lawn business personally..not in my area...there 100s out there but i dont' know any of them lol....there are bigger companies in my area but they are so busy it would take them weeks to get around to doing it so i doubt a customer would want to wait that long....also they charge alot more money anyways so if i added another 25-30% on top of that i doubt the customer would want to pay that much...but that's just my area...yours may be different.

Boaz

LawnSite Member
I plan on subcontracting all of my herbicide and pesticide applications instead of getting my license and having more expensive business liability insurance.
Posted via Mobile Device