1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Just my luck!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Raider, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Raider

Raider LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

Earlier this week I asked for help on a bid for a "Hud Housing" apartment complex and many of you were very helpful, thanks again. Today I am talking to the property manager and he explained the process and how it goes to a board and they make the decision. The head of the board just happens to be the woman attorney that represented my ex-wife in our divorce!!!! If I recall correctly I called her a "suit wearing DIKE" in an out of court meeting when things got kind of heated. I am going to guess I won't be getting this bid!

2. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

3. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Central NY

HUD requires all properties to take the lowest bid. The only way you may get a bid would be if the manager can hide any lower bids, or push enough for you. I lost a property that I serviced for 170+ per cut, to a lowballer at $50 per cut. Property manager knows he's getting what he pays for, but b/c he HAS to take the lowest bid, they signed the lowballer.

4. Raider

Raider LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

This story just got a lot better!!!! I got the bid, plus two other sites, one larger and one smaller. Evidently I was the only one that submitted a bid that had insurance, tax ID #, and workers comp paperwork ready to go. We are in a town of around 10,000 people so there are not a lot of legit operators. I run all three of my business' through the same policy for insurance and workers comp so I have it year round all of the time. I still have reservations about the job but I will give it a try for a year. Thanks again for others that responded to previous thread helping with bid.

5. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

That is FREAKIN HILARIOUS!!! Sounds like something I'd do.

Glad you got the bid!