Just Pulled the trigger. First Commercial Mower!!

Exmarkboy13

LawnSite Senior Member
Well, i was planning on buying new, but checkout Craigslsit and found a really good deal on this John Deere 7H17 Hydro walkbehind with less than 100 hours in really good condition. It also comes with manuals, a proslide xt sulky, and bagger. I went to look at the machine and it is perfect. Absolutely no cometic or mechanical flaws. I was impressed. Ill post pics and price when I get it tommorow! Any tips, as it will be my first commercial mower. Especially driving and maintaining it. Thanks.

weaver

LawnSite Bronze Member
Just like any other mower make sure you do your oil-filter changes and buy a good grease gun stuff like that. Really simple. Good luck and post those pics.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
Exmarkboy13

Exmarkboy13

LawnSite Senior Member
Just like any other mower make sure you do your oil-filter changes and buy a good grease gun stuff like that. Really simple. Good luck and post those pics.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks. Im just really worride about the spindles (greasing them). Is it hard? he told me he will show me how to tommorow. He said its a feel thing. True? How are these machines and do you have any advice about driving them .

weaver

LawnSite Bronze Member
If it's a dual hydro it's really simple. If you wanna go left pull the left lever, right pull the right. Reverse pull them both up. It's really simple and you should have the hang of it in no time.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
Exmarkboy13

Exmarkboy13

LawnSite Senior Member
Thanks. What about the spindles and how is the 7 iron Pro deck?

K&L Landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
First of all, congrats on the new to you mower! I had the exact mower you are buying and those pistol grip controls were almost crippling to use. I'm a gym rat and in very good condition but my hands and wrists were jello after a few hours of use. If you have a grip like a SilverBack Gorilla you'll be fine but otherwise you might find the controls to be uncomfortably stiff.

Don't worry about greasing the spindles, that's the easiest part of preventative maintenance. You can tell when you have used enough grease. The handle gets a little harder to squeeze.

Congrats and good luck!

OP
Exmarkboy13

Exmarkboy13

LawnSite Senior Member
First of all, congrats on the new to you mower! I had the exact mower you are buying and those pistol grip controls were almost crippling to use. I'm a gym rat and in very good condition but my hands and wrists were jello after a few hours of use. If you have a grip like a SilverBack Gorilla you'll be fine but otherwise you might find the controls to be uncomfortably stiff.

Don't worry about greasing the spindles, that's the easiest part of preventative maintenance. You can tell when you have used enough grease. The handle gets a little harder to squeeze.

Congrats and good luck!
Thanks alot. The controls were super smooth and responsive. How did it cut and hold up? How did it stripe?

Flatop

LawnSite Member
Congrats on your 1st commercial mower. Took me 2 years to save up for a Scag Vride. Take care of your equipment and it will last a long time.

K&L Landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
Thanks alot. The controls were super smooth and responsive. How did it cut and hold up? How did it stripe?
I'm glad you found the controls to your satisfaction but trust me, after you use it for a while your hands will be killing you. Much different just zipping around trying it out for 5-10 minutes rather than using it all day.

I thought the mower cut great, the 7-iron deck is one of my all time favorites. It handles wet grass really, really well. I didn't notice that it striped all that great.

FWIW, I sold mine with just under 100 hours use on it. There was alot more I disliked about the mower than what I liked. Hopefully, you will have a much more positive experience than I did.