just say it's 23,456 sq ft how much do you make

superintendent

LawnSite Senior Member
Let say you have a yard that is 23,456 sq ft and how much do you want to make after you minus your cost on fert and chemical. Let say I'm charging 5 dollar per 1000's each app will be $117.28 so for 5 apps it will be $586.40 for the yr. Now how much will you make after you pay for your cost of fert and chem. Yes I know there is alot of other cost involved but I just like to know what is a good ballpark after fert and chem cost. If you want you can pm. Hope I haven't confuse yall with this statement. Thanks

ReddensLawnCare

LawnSite Bronze Member
I really think you are thinking to hard about this, as I believe this is your third post regarding this topic. You need to figure out how long something takes you to do. For example:
How long to spread fert over 10k
How long to spray 10K

If you know those times, then you can figure out how long it will take you to treat 23,456sf. Whatever your hourly rate it, compute from there, and add your cost of material, and any markup you want to without pricing yourself out of the competition.

I dont know if you care, or if it matters, but for the example that you used, I would be somewhere around 90 per app, depending on what is going down. I think at the price you mentioned, that would be a little high.

Another pricing structure you can use, is a per bag price. If a bag of fert cost you 20/bag and that treats 10k, and you have 25k to treat, you will use 2.5 bags. So you charge 45-65 per bag and come up with a price.

I use the later pricing structure for any properties over 1 acre, and I feel pretty good about it.

turf hokie

LawnSite Silver Member
not confusing, but I dont break down my material costs per job unless the materials being used a significantly different than the square footage measured.

I look at the year as a whole and try to keep my materials in the 25% of total sales range, when I first started they were around 1/3 of total sales, some years we are lower than 25% some higher, depends on how the fertilizer prices fluctuate....

in edit: after reading reddens comment on pricing, dont go by any body elses pricing. you will be out of business fast. That depends on your market, my price is higher than yours, by a lot, which means that I can hire reddens to come to NY and apply for me and I would actually make more than i am by doing it myself!!!

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
you can't ask for pricing on this site. some guys get $4 per 1000 and some get $15 per 1000.

figure up your chemical and equipment cost for each round. then you need to figure out what you want to make. What you make per app determines your price. You may want to make 100/hr and your location may only tolerate 75/hr.

Based on your mailing thread you have gotten a bunch of calls, but are unable to close the deal. There are many factors why you aren't closing the deal. Many times the customer prices us around and goes not only on price, but also how impressed they are with us. If you aren't closing the deal maybe $5 per 1000 is too high in your area.

turf hokie

LawnSite Silver Member
I was not saying charge that amount. I was just stating what I would be around. Here, that is about what I could get, maybe a bit more depending on location.
I was just make an example of how important it is to NOT go by someone elses pricing structure.

There are way too many guys on here that are looking for someone to tell them what to charge etc. Even if you werent telling him to charge that amount, some people would use it as a starting point.

Wasnt pointing finger, just making a point.

turf hokie

LawnSite Silver Member
OP, some of it is trial and error,

if you are not closing 50-75% of the customers you are meeting with I think you may need to relook at either your presentation or your pricing or both. Grassmaster makes a good point.

We measured one out today and on 15,000 square feet we were $2 more per application than the previous guy. Same program. Signed them on the spot because she was comfortable with how we presented ourselves and our price was competetive.

Took me almost 5 years to get to the point where I was comfortable with my pricing to be profitable and competetive. It isnt easy....

OP
S

superintendent

LawnSite Senior Member
Well the ten I got are the ones that were home when I came. The others are not. People here don't seem to start worring about there yard till the weather warms up. I sent out letters to my old customers and very little responded. The samething happened last yr. I sent letters out and nothing and then sent out another letter saying it's time now and everyone called saying come now.

humble1

LawnSite Silver Member
you can't ask for pricing on this site. some guys get $4 per 1000 and some get $15 per 1000.

figure up your chemical and equipment cost for each round. then you need to figure out what you want to make. What you make per app determines your price. You may want to make 100/hr and your location may only tolerate 75/hr.

Based on your mailing thread you have gotten a bunch of calls, but are unable to close the deal. There are many factors why you aren't closing the deal. Many times the customer prices us around and goes not only on price, but also how impressed they are with us. If you aren't closing the deal maybe $5 per 1000 is too high in your area.
I think Ric is the highest on here.

humble1

LawnSite Silver Member
Heres how I look at a yard, some lawns that are 12k could actually take longer than a 30k lawn. Can I use my z spray on all of it, are there shrub beds and trees in the middle I need to go around, is there a pool area or tennis court that I have to spend extra time blowing off, do I need to use a push spreader, monkey grinder or backpack sprayer. Do they have a dog, that we need to knock and have them bring in at each app. What I need to make per hour is higher than maybe what you need to make due to my overhead. What do you need to make each day to cover your overhead and living expernses. Also I need to make all my money to cover my year from April 1 through the Middle of Nov then I am done due to the weather. Not to be long winded but lets say for ex. you have to make 50,000 per year to cover all you fixed bills (ones that are there) no matter if you are working or on vacation ie:rent, truck payment, cell phone, insurance etc. And you can phsically book 40 hours worth of billable time each week for 50 weeks, your fixed costs per man hour are 2000 hours at $25 per hour. If you work 5 10 hour days you need to pull in $250 per day to cover your fixed costs. Then you need to add your variable costs on top of that, materials, gas, travel, things that fluctuate. So lets say you can now do 10 lawns a day and at the end of the day you use 25 bags of fert and crabgrass control at say $500 and 25 in gas. Now your at $775 240k treated YOUR fixed and variable costs come in around $3.23 per sq ft. so if you were at $4.23 per sq ft your gross profit was in at $240 for the day or $24 per hour. If my overhead is different or my product costs are diff, or I can treat more yards in a day, then my prices are different. I guess my point is that you need to know what your costs are, dont worry about the price I have because it doesnt matter. Larry at American lawn treats thousands of lawns and gets prices on fert most here cant touch, so you couldnt price a job like him. crunch the numbers read some buisness books. good luck