1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Just starting out pictures!

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by talktosch, Aug 30, 2012.

1. talktosch

talktosch LawnSite Member

It's a stock photo. Since I haven't started yet, I took as stock photo.

2. talktosch

It's 2012. Not 1990. I think having a company comes before having a product. I know so.

Prior to 2014:
    I will have a mobile app to share info about us and to order services in my local area. Pay extra for rush services - 1 or 2 day respondent.

A website to do the same.

A whole social media back log.

A year worth of blogging on industry / cutting grass.

That way when I launch in 2014 - I can start mowing with 5 or so clients. Which is all I want to start out with. And mostly those 5 will be free for the first time if they guest blog or refer, retweet or share facebook post.

3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Better back up the truck here. unless these 5 accounts are big dollar,your going to spend more money in one day then what your going to make in a month.

4. talktosch

my full time job won't change at all - this is really just a big year 2014 challenge. I'm not spending any money - I do all the web work myself. I'm spending time, but not money.

I am spending money on equipment. Have a truck, have a trailer.

5. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Still money being spent,so is your time . Truck and trailer are not free either.

6. talktosch

Yeah, but I was stating I already have them. I always have had a truck - different trucks - but always have had one. And I have acquired the trailer.

The only investment:

equipment - which is not cheap.
    time - which is limited. :( I work a LOT. I work on developing and designing for the web.

7. USAProLawnCare

USAProLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Tiger Stripes!! Where are you located?

8. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

With that in mind, any reason you're using a template and not creating something from scratch so as to not have all of the extraneous code and unused functions?

9. Kkane97

Kkane97 LawnSite Senior Member

I guess this didnt post before...

A lot of the high rollers that are on here started humble mowing a few yards. I am sure a lot of them would tell you that the website and all this prep is unneeded. Just start with a few maybe 5 to get your feet wet. Then in say 2014 try and go big. Not bashing just IMO
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

I just circled back through this thread and re-read this. Re: your "I know so" comment, while taking a "minimum viable" approach works for many types of businesses, a local service business isn't exactly one of those that springs to mind. Out of curiosity, did you end up on lawnsite via reddit.com?