Just starting - Tax question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by garyt, Dec 13, 2005.

  1. garyt

    garyt LawnSite Member
    Messages: 28

    I am just starting a part time mow and go business and have a question about doing things the legal way.

    My question is do I need to register a company name and sign up with state (Indiana) and federal for tax purposes or can I just claim the money on my taxes some other way that is legal and easy?

    Thanks, Gary
  2. Reliable Lawns

    Reliable Lawns LawnSite Member
    Messages: 95

    I am no atty or tax advisor by any means, but right now I run my company as a sole prop. Yes I needed to register my business name with the state, other wise someone can come along and take it. I think it cost about $ 100.00 for that. Also, register with your state for sales tax number, and file with them.
    This was free. A sole prop runs off your ssn # and you can file when you do your regular taxes off your ssn. I will be changing mine to a LLC soon as to avoid some risks. Call your state office and they will walk you thru it. It was pretty easy. Keep track of all records in case of any audit. Good Luck
  3. bohiaa

    bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,220

    I have seen this several times.

    it is kind of ok NOT to register your business name. "NOT advisable"

    however as Reliable Lawns said it can be taken, and also. you need to have it because of your advertising,

    If,,,,And When you become bigger, and you want to become legal then you may have to change the name, That's where the head ake starts.
  4. MMLawn

    MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,569

    In most states YES you do need to register your DBA. Many states have you do it at the local level with your county Register of Deeds. As to taxes if you have no employees and remain a Sole Prop then you don't need anything else from the IRS, BUT you will have to file additional Quarterly tax forms each quarter along with the payment for the additional income taxes you will be generating from the additional income.

Share This Page