Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks. long time reader, first post. i've been noticing here that alot of guys figure on how much they want to make per hour. i've seen as low as $12, and as high as $75. personally, as a solo, i'm comfortable with $50 for mowing. so anyhow, i quoted this lady $50 for a first time cut (lawn was a bit high, etc). she handed me a $50, and i started mowing. it went alot smoother and faster than i thought. i was done in 20 minutes. i definitely miscalculated the time involved. now i feel bad. i mean, it's just not fair to the customer. my usual minimum mowing price is $30, and i usually get done in 20-25 minutes. should i give this lady a refund, or credit towards future service? it's just not fair. please advise. thanks in advance everyone, great site, keep up the good work!

· Moderator, Friend, Angel
36,324 Posts
hi folks. long time reader, first post. i've been noticing here that alot of guys figure on how much they want to make per hour. i've seen as low as $12, and as high as $75. personally, as a solo, i'm comfortable with $50 for mowing. so anyhow, i quoted this lady $50 for a first time cut (lawn was a bit high, etc). she handed me a $50, and i started mowing. it went alot smoother and faster than i thought. i was done in 20 minutes. i definitely miscalculated the time involved. now i feel bad. i mean, it's just not fair to the customer. my usual minimum mowing price is $30, and i usually get done in 20-25 minutes. should i give this lady a refund, or credit towards future service? it's just not fair. please advise. thanks in advance everyone, great site, keep up the good work!
20 minutes + how much drive time? Loading and unloading time?. A lot more goes into running a business than just spending 20 minutes cutting a lawn. Who pays you to sharpen blades? Maintain the mower? Do the office work? Handle Advertising? Benefits? Retirement? Vacation pay? and on and on. Get as much as you can out of each lawn to cover all that stuff

· Registered
2,695 Posts
i thought you were the great bobbygedd for a minute. or are you? :laugh:i have to agree with charles on this one.

· Registered
1 Posts
You took the risk so you should also take the reward. What if it took you 1 hour and 20 minutes? Would you expect the customer to pay you more? Next time do it time and materials and your conscience will be freed. If she doesn't want to pay you $50/hr then go find someone who will.

· Registered
1,175 Posts
Yes Bobby. Give her a refund and your shovel too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.