Lawn Care Forum banner

just want to be fair

5K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  topsites 
#1 ·
hi folks. long time reader, first post. i've been noticing here that alot of guys figure on how much they want to make per hour. i've seen as low as $12, and as high as $75. personally, as a solo, i'm comfortable with $50 for mowing. so anyhow, i quoted this lady $50 for a first time cut (lawn was a bit high, etc). she handed me a $50, and i started mowing. it went alot smoother and faster than i thought. i was done in 20 minutes. i definitely miscalculated the time involved. now i feel bad. i mean, it's just not fair to the customer. my usual minimum mowing price is $30, and i usually get done in 20-25 minutes. should i give this lady a refund, or credit towards future service? it's just not fair. please advise. thanks in advance everyone, great site, keep up the good work!

#2 ·
20 minutes + how much drive time? Loading and unloading time?. A lot more goes into running a business than just spending 20 minutes cutting a lawn. Who pays you to sharpen blades? Maintain the mower? Do the office work? Handle Advertising? Benefits? Retirement? Vacation pay? and on and on. Get as much as you can out of each lawn to cover all that stuff

#13 ·
You took the risk so you should also take the reward. What if it took you 1 hour and 20 minutes? Would you expect the customer to pay you more? Next time do it time and materials and your conscience will be freed. If she doesn't want to pay you $50/hr then go find someone who will.

#23 ·
I thought so too hmmmmmmmmmmmm
thats the VERY FIRST thing I thought! English speaking frenchman bringing up issues of morals.... suspicious..

Anyway, if its gonna bug you, just give her a $20 credit towards next week.

#24 ·
I guess money is tight in my neck of the woods, at this point there are days
I am giving such ridiculous discounts even customers are asking me how am I
going to survive lmao it's to the point someone wants to throw a little extra
my way and I find it hard to say no.

It's not like it's $500 over 20 minutes worth of work, yes $50 is a bit of a rip but at the same rate we
get it up the butt some days too, it's not entirely fair to this customer but life isn't entirely fair to us,
just take the dang money already and let it work itself out.

Win some, lose some...
You quoted a price to which the customer agreed, the work is done so now you get paid, end of story.
Been there, done that.

But the right answer is to adjust the price accordingly.

Welcome back. Fun times again!!
Sure wouldn't hurt my feelings none, come on lets rock :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.