Lawn Care Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yup, i did it again, and as usual, its not my fault. this one has me REALLY BAFFLED, i didnt know how to handle it, so i just acted like myself, a real a hole, ok here it goes: lady calls,says she has seen the work i do at her 2 neighbors, she wants to boot her current service, and use us, do i have room for her? sure, i reply. how much, she asks. i say regular $30, but i have her two neighbors for years now, and they get a senior discount, so ill do a weekly service for $27. great, she replies, but it doesnt need it this week, start next week, ok? i say sure. so, wed we go and cut. lawn looks like ----, dry, some high spots, whatever, so we cut, lady comes out, says ok, ill see u again in a few weeks? i say nope, next week, we agreed on weekly service. she says weekly when it needs it, i say, uh oh.....ok, tell u what, every 2 weeks for $30, fair? since im there weekly anyway. great she says. next day, phone messege, " i dont like the way u cut my lawn, dont come back!" click. im like, wtf? so, i call, i ask whats wrong? she says, " well, where do i start, u went from $27 to $30, u didnt trim right, you cut it when it didnt need it, and your mower is too big." now, thats the first time anyone has ever told me that anything i have is too big. i say listen, it was our first time, im sure we can do better, she says , "dont bother, and do not call here again!" click. so i go over, and demand my $30. she gives it to me. so, of course i have to get my two cents in, so, i say, "listen, id like to thank you for cancelling, id hate to have anyone i know drive by and see me working at a dump like this." she slams the door. i laugh, and go home. now, we get complimented on our work all the time, this lady was nuts. would u guys have done anything different? at first she didnt even want to pay me.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Just be happy she's part of history. Do't go back, don't call, no Christmas card, done, finished. Plainly escaped from the bin. Go on with your life, you'll find another problem to tell us about tomorrow.

·
Banned
726 Posts
I'd have done the same except for two points. First, NEVER give a discount for any reason any more. This is a service product and there are no significant economies of scale. The only way to discount is to reduce the quality, which I refuse to do.

And B, don't argue. The customer is the boss, but I've learned to spot most losers right off, and she'd have been easy to flag.

·
Banned
8,742 Posts
some people you can't please...but I would have been a little nicer because of her neighbors as accounts. She could spread the word to them

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
narly, im cutting 10 lawns a day. i only work from around 8:30-1. i cut wed, thurs, fri, sat. we usually get $30 for each lawn. i also do about 20 fert programs. we do small landscape jobs mon+tues. i actually pull a huge profit considering the few hrs i work. i get top $ for my work, i have two jobs, i dont "need" the work unless im getting top $. anything else?

·
Registered
237 Posts
It seems like her main point was that you changed your price. I wonder what the outcome would have been if you never changed it? Probably the same, but who knows. If she is nuts, that could have just been the thing that set her off. But I'm sure it would have been something else in the future. Your better off without the account. I wonder if her last lco had a party when she cancelled? Maybe they will send you a card....

·
Banned
4,396 Posts
Congratulations Bobby! In the past 3 months you have already surpassed my number of "nasty customer incidents" for the past 12 years.

Way to not be a sucker and let those customers get one up on you. Keep up the hard-chargin' take-no-prisoners attitude. :D

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
gonzo, aint it a shame? a nice man like myself, having to deal with crazy -------- like that? wanna know something, its not just u and me dealing with these crazies, all lawn guys do, they just dont tell.

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bruce, is my attitude bad? have u ever dealt with the nasty -------- from new jersey? i do, every day. if it dont get any better, u know what im gonna do? yup, IM LEAVIN, leavin, LEAVIN ON THE MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA, leavin on the midnight train........

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
I don't doubt any of bobby's comments to that lady one bit! Don't let them push you around. I'm going through ---- like that right now, at the condominium complex I take care of weekly an old lady that is a fullshare owner is hassling me for stuff all the time. She told me to slow down because she thought my mower was dangerous, I tried to explain to her that I knew what I was doing with the machine and that's what it was designed for, but she thought she had it figured out. Then she complains that the grass is too wet in front of her patio and that I should cut shorter to get rid of the water, like that's going to work. Oh well, I'm charging the $20 more weekly to take care of this so I'll be making $65 an hour at this place :D Back to the point, don't take ---- from people. I told her off yesterday when she complained. There's at least 300 owners in the entire complex and she's the only one that is complaining, 5 times to be exact, and she has had one of the board members complain for her because she knows I'm mad. I flat out told her yesterday I didn't have time to waste dealing with issues that were beyond my control and have a nice day. She was steamed.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Originally posted by bobbygedd
bruce, is my attitude bad? have u ever dealt with the nasty -------- from new jersey? i do, every day. if it dont get any better, u know what im gonna do? yup, IM LEAVIN, leavin, LEAVIN ON THE MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA, leavin on the midnight train........
no bobby, NO NO NO, dont come here. :D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.