1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Kaw 13 hp starting problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by carcrz, Jul 5, 2007.

1. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I've drained all the fuel, changed the filter, cleaned out all fuel lines, and cleaned out the bowl. This thing just will not start, even w/ starting fluid. (Pull start) I checked the spark plug & it is brown & needs replaced, but I've seen plugs in worse condition that still started. Any ideas what else it could be? Maybe just the plug?

2. carcrz

Some plug pics (Sorry about the quality):

plug 1.JPG

plug 2.JPG

plug 3.JPG

3. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Do you have spark? Maybe valve problems.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

5. carcrz

You, my good man, are a genius! Fired right up (I went ahead & put in a new plug today as well, but I don't think that was related). Here's what I don't get. The dealer put a new switch on it back in February because I was having the same problem then; that's why I came here w/ my dilemma. The switch they put on it has a ground wire that mounts on one of the muffler bracket bolts on the block. If I remember correctly, they routed a new wire there. I don't recall where, or if, there was a ground wire there before or even at all off the switch.

6. carcrz

Are there any special electrical male/female connectors that are water tight? I'm thinking some water may have got behind the standard blue male/female connectors that they used.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic