KAW 580v-DS28 Governor Seal Replacment

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mikeylikesit5805, May 17, 2018 at 6:12 AM.

1. mikeylikesit5805

mikeylikesit5805 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kent OH

Hello Everyone,

I have been chasing an oil leak on my Kawasaki for quite some time. It could have other leaks, but I am pretty sure I found one of them. I took of the throttle plate to see if I could see anything and low and behold it looks like the governor arm is caked in oil - so I am guessing that seal is shot.

I am planning on replacing it. Any tips or tricks I should know about? I'll probably by two seals just in case. But If anyone has done this job before and has some tips for me I am all ears. I also attached a picture. Maybe you guys can help my confirm that that is the oil leak.

IMG_20180516_203100.jpg

IMG_20180516_203100.jpg

hort101 likes this.
  2. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Member

Governor seal leaks are a common issue on Kawasakis.
    Here is a funny video. It shows how easy it is to replace the seal.

hort101 likes this.
  3. scagman52

scagman52 LawnSite Senior Member

I have changed them on two Kawasaki engines. You won't believe how small these o-rings are and only at a few cents each what a mess when they fail. You have to pretty much tare the engine down to seperate the bottom part. Follow the advice in the other post on this site and you should have no problem.

hort101 likes this.
  4. scagman52

scagman52 LawnSite Senior Member

Also check this out.
    awasaki FH580V - Manuals
    https://www.manualslib.com › Brands › KAWASAKI Manuals › Other
    Manuals and User Guides for KAWASAKI FH580V -. We have 3 KAWASAKI FH580V - manuals available for free PDF download: Service Manual, Datasheet ...

hort101 likes this.
  5. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Member

Here is a company that manufactures a dedicated tool for the job. They say that with the tool, the job can be done in five minutes.
    http://www.rivetpopper.com/csi/seal_snap/seal-snap.asp
    As cagman52 pointed out, look at the manual and make sure you readjust the governor.

6. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

O-ring ? Ain't no stinkin' O-ring. It's a lip type seal, no ?

7. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Member

BigFish is correct. It is a lip seal. In the video, the gentleman puts an o ring first prior to the lip seal for, as he calls it, double protection.

8. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Platinum Member

Pry the old seal out and use a deep socket to put the new seal or a small piece of pvc pipe. I'm using a piece of cpvc cut with a tubing cutter then I hit it on a sanding wheel. Don't harm the aluminum. You can use some oil or rtv sealant to help lube the install. I take a chisel and leave a mark for the arm and shaft for the reinstall. You need to usually adjust the plate to a tach when done.

9. mikeylikesit5805

from Kent OH

Thanks Ill check that out.

That makes it look super simple. Hopefully mine goes like that.

When you say tear down the engine, what do you mean? it looks like most of this can be done externally.

Ill check out the manual. Thanks. Also I am going to have to look into that tool.

Yupp, and it looks like he RTVed too. NOt sure how I feel about that.

10. mikeylikesit5805

from Kent OH

Thank you for all the help everyone.