Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm new to the site and would like to get some opinions on my mower. i just picked up this used ferris from my local jd dealer that my buddy works at. He picked it up as a trade when he delivered there new rider. another wards it was a homeowner machine. mower is in great condition . its a hydro walk dual drive 52 with a kawasaki fc420v 14 hp. it starts easy and runs nice till you put the deck into the grass. it boggs right down. the throttle works properly and the gov is set correct i can see the gov working as the linkage is right under the handles but you can easily stall it in long grass. it dose not smoke

·
Registered
958 Posts
Hi
I'm new to the site and would like to get some opinions on my mower. i just picked up this used ferris from my local jd dealer that my buddy works at. He picked it up as a trade when he delivered there new rider. another wards it was a homeowner machine. mower is in great condition . its a hydro walk dual drive 52 with a kawasaki fc420v 14 hp. it starts easy and runs nice till you put the deck into the grass. it boggs right down. the throttle works properly and the gov is set correct i can see the gov working as the linkage is right under the handles but you can easily stall it in long grass. it dose not smoke
Couple of things to try.
Set the machine on a drive and try engaging the blades.
Does it work ok there? It just might be the long grass that stalls the engine.
With the engine off and the ignition key removed set the deck high and reach under to see of you can rotate the blades by hand. There should be resistance but no tight spots.
If the blades are still stalling when you engage them it might be a faulty micro switch.
Good luck Phil:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it will cut grass cutting mabey 1 1/2'' of normal 1 week growth but with the rain we have had this summer its longer in a week needing to cut maby 3" in off in the real long spots. thats when it boggs even if you just crawl with it barly moving . blades turn free

·
Registered
158 Posts
It could be that the grasse is too high but I doubt it. Make sure that the oil is good and check the spark plug gap and make sure it is clean, and the air cleaner. How old is the gas also. If all of that check out fine then ckeck that the choke is opening completely after you start the mower. if that is ok then the low side of the carb isnt set right and must be adjusted or the carb has some dirt or gunk in it. Clean the carb then, by checking all the little tiny holes on the main jet and the slow jet, use carb cleaner. I bet its the low needle adjustment or the carb needs cleaning. let me know what happens.

·
Registered
958 Posts
With that size engine I think you maybe pushing it to the max. However do make sure your blades are 100% sharp and balanced. Imagine cutting a fresh loaf of bread with a dull knife and then using a sharp knife. Dull blades overload the engine.
Now git out there and hone them there blades :drinkup:
Good luck Phil

·
Registered
158 Posts
No, i have a 52 inch hyro and the motor has way more than enough power to run it through even high grass with no problem what so ever. the power of the motoe is fine. I believe its something to do with the carb, low screw or dirt.

·
Registered
10,093 Posts
No, i have a 52 inch hyro and the motor has way more than enough power to run it through even high grass with no problem what so ever. the power of the motoe is fine. I believe its something to do with the carb, low screw or dirt.
he said it runs fine, no skipping or popping. I have the sa,e motor on my 48" encore belt. And it bogs in heavy grass, how much more for a 52 hydro? Its underpowered in my opinion.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Na, I can't agree with that because I have a scag 52 inch hydro and have at least 2000 hours on it or more and I use it to do hills high grass and even used to put my sulky on it, the motor has pleanty of power, more than enough, I believe the problem is with the low setting air screw or the carb having debris in it, or possibly the govoner. The power isnt the problem.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm not sure how its done with thah model because i never do it that way. If the pull cord has tention when you pull it, you know compression, then it shouild be fine, you know a good amount of tention on the cord. Im not sure if that model has a reed for compression release or a lever, you dont have to trick it anyway. you know your compression release might be the problem too, but i doubt it. Try cleaning the carb,you said that the motor doesnt smoke, so it shouldnt have any problems with the rings, and if you had a head gasket problem, you would hear it, especially when you turn it off. i bet its the carb. save yourself a big hassal and check and clean the carb first. The low screw on the carb is very important when putting the mower under strain because it kind set the govoner speed. that motor has more than enough power to run that motor. really clean the carb out and let me know what happens.

·
Registered
10,093 Posts
Na, I can't agree with that because I have a scag 52 inch hydro and have at least 2000 hours on it or more and I use it to do hills high grass and even used to put my sulky on it, the motor has pleanty of power, more than enough, I believe the problem is with the low setting air screw or the carb having debris in it, or possibly the govoner. The power isnt the problem.
im looking forward to the result. If its what you say then maybe i can get alitte more out of mine to. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Did ya put a tach on it ? It should be spinning close to 3600 with no load, (course ya got the pumps which are always turning). A couple hundred rpm will make a BIG diff.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
14hp on a 52" seems a little underpowered. ... Seems to me that machine should have a 17
I second that. Bit of an understatement, sounds way underpowered. Specially on a Ferris, they're heavy. My 36" Hydrocut has 13hp.

I don't know what an FC420V is. Must be an old engine, maybe even a single cylinder (it's normal for those to be gutless).

Not really much you can do :
- optimize the engine : new filters, spark plugs, decarbon combustion chamber (sea foam and alike), check valves and adjust carburetor. What's all this talk about low-end adjustments? It's more for idle and acceleration. The high-end needle is more important under load.
- Make sure nothing is draining power: like overtightened or misaligned belts, worn spindles, bad pumps etc. Put synthetic hydro fluid in the transmission, helps a lot when cold.
- Like everybody said sharp blades are important.

If nothing helps start drilling small holes in the muffler ... :dizzy:. Don't make a big hole just many tiny ones. Each little hole makes it stronger (and louder).

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
well i will pull the carb this week . this motor has auto comp release how do you trick it to do a compression check?
Turn the engine in reverse direction by means of flywheel when measuring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cleaned the carb and replaced fuel filter . runs a lot better bagged some long grass last night. deck slows when it gets heavy but dose not stall out .
thanks for the help.

my model # is dd52ka ser# 1021 (on handle bars)
i called ferris to try and get a age for this mower and they couldn't convince me they new. they said it is a 2002 i think it is way older mabey some one out there has had one this vintage and knows better? hint- it has a translucent gas tank
i don't care how old it is but its good to know!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.