Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 17hp Kawi with only 600 hours on it and it has been nothing but a problem from the beginning. From gaskets leaking to carburetor kits and complete engine overhauls. New rings and pistons at 220 hours. Another complete engine overhaul at 450 hours. Bent the rods and had everything done again. New coil, starter, throttle cables. Has anyone else had this many problems with a Kawasaki? And don't get me wrong this engine is pampered. Never sees the weather and always gets the oil changed every 50 hours.

Should Kawasaki replaced the engine at 220 hours when it was still under warranty?
Sounds like a lemon from the beginning to me.
What do you think?

Any suggestions on how i could get something out of Kawasaki?

Thanks for your responses
Eric

· Registered
912 Posts
:blob3: i will never buy another kawi, im blowing white/blue smoke, and using a ton of oil, have about 650 hours on it. i too have changed the coils and a breather kit to help prevent form having the oil in my air filter which is doing nothing, thinking about scapin the motor this winter for a kohler. tony

ps, kawi customer service sucks as well, they feel they produce a flawless motor and all the problems are the result of what im doing.

· Registered
263 Posts
Originally posted by General Grounds
:blob3: i will never buy another kawi, im blowing white/blue smoke, and using a ton of oil, have about 650 hours on it. i too have changed the coils and a breather kit to help prevent form having the oil in my air filter which is doing nothing, thinking about scapin the motor this winter for a kohler. tony

ps, kawi customer service sucks as well, they feel they produce a flawless motor and all the problems are the result of what im doing.
Kawasaki is doing it to themselves.

And VnDrWLawnCare sounds like your dealer is the problem.

· Registered
646 Posts
Mine are great,??????????????? go figure

· Registered
966 Posts
i have 2 17 hp also.there 3 years old and i just change the oil.my friend did have a problem with his but it was an easy fix.his carb would overflow with gas.because when he changed his belts the first time he tipped the machine over on the carb side and the float got all hung up.sounds like you got a friday or monday kawi made engine....lol don't feel bad my new 27 hp kohler has 90 hours on it and it runs like crap.already replaced the carb.

i will only buy kawi engines from now on.there product support has always been great for me.sounds like your dealer is the problem.

· Registered
157 Posts
I have a 17 Kaw on a 5 year old 48" JD. The engine has run fine the only problem with eh mower that I have had is a bad wiring harness that keeps grounding out and killing the battery. It is going to be a winter project for me.

Now my dealer has repeatedly told me that he dislikes Kaw. He says that he sees at least 60% more Kaw than he does Kohler's so he suggests to everyone that buys new go with the Kohler option.

Ron

· Registered
8,205 Posts
bommaritro,

Is that 17hp Kawi that you have a TWIN cylinder like the ones talked about above?

For a 5 y/o JD, I will assume that its the older single cylinder 17hp.

Whatcha got?

:confused:

· Registered
3,966 Posts
Originally posted by promower
Bummer, sorry to hear that. I have a 17 kawisaki and have been problem free 520 hours. What kind of mower, mine is on a great dane.
Yup, I've got over 500 on mine, running 3,800 rpm doubles, and it's fine. I had a bad coil at 300, but that's it.
Pete

· Registered
157 Posts
I have a FC540V I know that mine is a single cylinder I also believe that the FC540V models are single cylinder if I am not mistaken.

I missed the fact that the original poster was talking about twin cylinder motor should have caught it when he talked about replacing the piston(S).

Was just responding back about my dealing with Kawasaki. Not sure if the issues that my dealer was talking about were related to twin or single cyl engines. He just made a broad statement about going with Kohler instead.

Ron

· Registered
5,033 Posts
No problems with any of the kawi’s I’ve owned, my eXmark (I’m second owner) has at least 500 hrs on it I’m guessing (no meter) and it’s as smooth and powerful as you could want. It’s the 17 V twin recoil start. I’ve had no problems except the motor backfired once when I shut it off (might not have let it idle don’t remember) and it snapped the plastic housing for the recoil start “dogs” inside. Dealer got me going same day just an hour later I was mowing again. Did not have part in stock so they took one off of a new mower on showroom floor and charged me for the new part, didn’t even charge labor :)
It does occasionally smoke alittle bluish smoke on startup, but some engines “just do that” I’ve seen new mowers do that if they aren’t broke in yet. Could be the piston rings scooted around so that the gaps in them are too close to each other, so they seep alittle oil. It is always full when I check it… I’m not always great on maintenance with my stuff and it always sits outside at night uncovered, I run it hard but it’s always been great no complaints with it.
Never dealt with Kawi directly though.

· Registered
367 Posts
I have heard of 2 problems with 19 HP Kaws. Both on Scags. Nothing as serious as the problems describe on this thread.

· Banned
1,639 Posts
My kawi 17 has just below 300 hrs on it and i have replaced a rocker arm bolt that snapped in it, both coils, and it smokes heavily from time to time. My dealer support sucks and kawi wont help out either so im just screwed it seems like.

· Registered
912 Posts
:blob3: NCSU, i feel your pain my dealer has tried on repeated times to get kawi to step to the plate, dealer says they replace motor at there cost over the winter, kawi will not even send a rep. to look at my motor, never again, im purchasin a new bobcat ztr and they are tring to sell me the 25 hp kawi i told them to keep it give me the kohler, my problems w/ kohler have been min. they at least will work with us. good luck bro, tony

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree my dealer support hasn't been that great either. Its on a 48" lesco wb. I went with lesco because they give you a loaner mower. I think i have had theirs more than my own. They never refuse the loaner. I have attempted to get something out of them, but they just say that their hands are tied. I don't think so. Anyone else that purchases more stuff than me they would have done something for them. I own only one mower, and that is it. I told them to put kohlers on a new one and i would buy, but they just laughed. Says my engine is the only one they have ever had to tear apart. God forbide a Kawi rep come into this forum and attempt to help me out.
Hey thanks for the responses guys, and keep them coming.
Eric

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.