1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki 17 horse

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by osc, Mar 20, 2000.

1. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

Last year was very dusty as everyone knows. I had 2 kaw 17's get dirt ingested and luckily one was replaced under warranty and the other is still in the shop for a ring job under warranty. We spent a lot of bucks on filters and dirt still got by us. Now I am hearing that 17 horse kaw's may not be as good as the other kaw's. Anyone out there have an opinion? I guess I should say that our Kohlers faired much better.<p>OSC

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Im not sure how the air filter housing on the 17 sits, but on the 14, there is an o-ring between the carb and the housing which doesnt seal for $hit, they add a piece of foam seal on top of it but it deteriorates from the heat so it needs to be replaced annually. Chances are this is where the dirts coming from.<p>Bill

3. OP
    OP
    osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

I did get new filter housing with the ring job, under warranty. The shop doing the job also found a bearing rolling around in the bottom of the engine that came from the governor. Apparently, the factory left it that way. I thought the engine was a little weak under a load. Is this Japanese quality control?

4. walkerrider

walkerrider LawnSite Member

I also had problems with 17HP Kawasaki. I had the Liquid cooled version and the thing was a dog. It would never idle out properly and was not nearly as smooth or quiet as advertised. I have sinced moved back to Kohler

5. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 15 twin kawi, i think it is pretty much the same as the 17. but it has been sucking in a lot of dirt. had to work on the carbs and such after 100 hrs.

6. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Walkerrider,we are having similar problems<br>with the 17hp liquid cooled kawasaki in our<br>Kubota. I have had enough and am getting rid<br>of this heap,for a Walker or Toro ztr.<br>Lots of problems with fuel pump and carby on<br>this motor. It is a dog.<p>Karl<br>