Kawasaki 18HP Starter question

cpllawncare

LawnSite Silver Member
The starter on my 2011 GS keeps coming apart, the nut at the top of the gear shaft keeps working itself off, I've tried red locktight but it still came off I'm afraid it's going to tear up the flywheel if it keeps coming off, any ideas, are there any drawings for this engine, thought maybe something was missing?

Restrorob

LawnSite Fanatic
Post engine model AND spec numbers.....

ricky86

LawnSite Silver Member
The starter on my 2011 GS keeps coming apart, the nut at the top of the gear shaft keeps working itself off, I've tried red locktight but it still came off I'm afraid it's going to tear up the flywheel if it keeps coming off, any ideas, are there any drawings for this engine, thought maybe something was missing?
There was aservice bulletin about a similar problem. Check with your dealer to see if your engine is affected. It sounds like it is.

OP
cpllawncare

cpllawncare

LawnSite Silver Member
There was aservice bulletin about a similar problem. Check with your dealer to see if your engine is affected. It sounds like it is.
Thanks, I will do that. I just pulled the starter off again and the nut was loose, it even had red locktight on it WOW! Seems like something is missing?

mowerknower

LawnSite Senior Member
Definatly falls under the service bulletin. Have not done one in a while but I believe it is just a new washer and a larger lock nut. Simple fix but your dealer should cover it under warranty