1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki 21HP Stalling

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by iceberger, Apr 7, 2007.

1. iceberger

iceberger LawnSite Member

I have a commercial grade ZTR that has 21 hp Kawasaki FH641V engine that has started stalling. I put stabil in all of my gas, and it doesn't begin stalling until I'm about 1/2 way through mowing my 2 acres. So, I don't think it's the gas.
    After it stalls I get the backfire smell. After it stalls, it starts much easier if I give it full choke.
    I was able to keep the engine going if I dis-engaged the blade. That worked for a while, but it just stalled sitting there without the blade engaged.
    Does it sound like a problem with the carb? Does anybody know if this engine vapor locks? It's extremely frustrating and take a LONG time to mow.

2. dfischer

dfischer LawnSite Member
    from Il

Perhaps some junk in the fuel filter?

Why not drain fuel and replace?

3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

On my 23 kaw, I drain the crud out of the carb bowl, about once a week. Theres a screw on mine that I can do this. If I don't, it will start to run rough. I replace the tank filters once a year.

4. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

check your safety switches and wiring. sounds electrical