• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Kawasaki 21HP Stalling

iceberger

LawnSite Member
I have a commercial grade ZTR that has 21 hp Kawasaki FH641V engine that has started stalling. I put stabil in all of my gas, and it doesn't begin stalling until I'm about 1/2 way through mowing my 2 acres. So, I don't think it's the gas.
After it stalls I get the backfire smell. After it stalls, it starts much easier if I give it full choke.
I was able to keep the engine going if I dis-engaged the blade. That worked for a while, but it just stalled sitting there without the blade engaged.
Does it sound like a problem with the carb? Does anybody know if this engine vapor locks? It's extremely frustrating and take a LONG time to mow.

wriken

LawnSite Silver Member
On my 23 kaw, I drain the crud out of the carb bowl, about once a week. Theres a screw on mine that I can do this. If I don't, it will start to run rough. I replace the tank filters once a year.