1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki Engine swaps - Kawasaki tech around?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by WVZR-1, Jan 10, 2017.

1. WVZR-1

WVZR-1 LawnSite Member

!

Thank you!

I had already used them and I found the information a little more challenging than I thought it needed to be. I believe the parts section is great if you've a specific spec engine but you can't accomplish any research from it "easily". I believe it might be very close to the electronic catalog that dealers use and why I couldn't get better information from the dealers I visited to ask.

2. TrainingWheels

TrainingWheels LawnSite Bronze Member

WV,

If the engine on the SCAG is on and running and still under warranty, I'd leave it w/o doing the swap. If you have problems in the future there is continuity.

I'd just buy a replacement for the timecutter you could still goof around with the engine though after you've tossed another on. It does look like the 651/730 are the same and a number of guys on the board have had some issues with the 730.

Were you thinking of buying from SEW?

BR,

~TW

3. WVZR-1

WVZR-1 LawnSite Member

TW - The Scag has no warranty and has 400 Hours - the FS651V with the 3 year I thought would be a plus because the Scag is the keeper. A 48" I can use, trees and fence create issues for anything larger. I had looked at SEW but it wasn't (it didn't seem) to maybe be the "final choice". I'm going to visit a somewhat "local" shop and see if I allow them to use an engine for me as part of a "package buy" we can negotiate the shipping out of price and maybe "wiggle" some on the price. I really like "local" and if possible I do nearly everything local. I still enjoy a deal that ends with a handshake OR if there's issues it's a "toe to toe" conversation to a solution.

It seems SEW had some shipping charge issues that I didn't care for but to be very honest I'm not rushed so unless someone had a ridiculously low price I can wait.

Is there something I'm missing regarding SEW? SEW had a FS651V priced well but it had a very confusing warranty from them only. It didn't have the 3 year Kawasaki.

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/FS651V-S14-R.html

-Dave

4. WVZR-1

WVZR-1 LawnSite Member

I'm in the Eastern Panhandle of WV (Charles Town 25414), NOVA or Fredrick MD are close. Anyone in the area have a FR651V or an FS651V with a 1"/ 3-5/32 (80mm) that runs well that they might be interested in selling. If you're very close I might even consider just letting someone do the repair. I'd be interested in a conversation. I'm strapped for space until spring and today I thought I might just ask! LMK

5. Fatal

Fatal LawnSite Member

Yes you can do the engine swap.

6. WVZR-1

WVZR-1 LawnSite Member

I have this machine (the Toro FR651V) at home now. It had no battery and no spark plugs but I couldn't see any evidence of engine parts being removed for inspection (rocker covers, shroud etc). I installed a battery and the engine spun so I bought spark plugs and with a squirt of gas (choke cable had been cannibalized at shop) it cranked and fired, one more prime and it ran for maybe 40 seconds and shut down. I latched the choke closed about 50%, another prime and it ran for several minutes but of course not well, engaged PTO and it stalled. I did nothing more after that.

This is a very clean machine with no issues aside from the engine running. I can't imagine a shop just telling an owner "needs engine" BUT it seems to have happened.

What is a reasonable "next step" for diagnostics? I anticipated a "no spin/no crank - engine locked".

I thought it was going to be a "needs engine" decide which and move on. Now I guess I need to rethink!

7. TrainingWheels

Hey bud how are you!

here are the Kawkazi diagnostic charts:

In Bass Aackward order???

Give those a shot!

BR,

~TW

8. WVZR-1

WVZR-1 LawnSite Member

TW -

Thanks - I've been well. Bass Aacward is here maybe Back-asswards"!!

TrainingWheels likes this.
  9. WVZR-1

WVZR-1 LawnSite Member

Well I've spent very little time with this engine BUT it's very difficult to crank - VERY! I know absolutely nothing about the "Compression Release" and the service manual explains nothing regarding it. I'm going to spend some time with it tomorrow but maybe there is something to the "Compression Release" - spins well for a compression check (150 PSI) both cylinders but install the plugs and it certainly doesn't want to spin. I removed the starter today and lubed the drive etc. I'll try again!

Anyone understand and care to explain the "Compression Release System"?

10. TrainingWheels

Hard to explain but pretty easy to see here:

BR,

~TW