Lawn Care Forum banner

Kawasaki Engine

9K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
I have a John Deere LX172 with a single cylinder 14hp Kawasaki engine (FC420V). It wont start. If you crank it long enough it will pop a little then backfire. I have drained and cleaned the fuel tank and line, cleaned the carburetor bowl, replaced the igniter (small electrical part on the side), replaced the fuel filter, both air filters and the spark plug. I checked the spark and it is good. The fuel pump works. The engine was running great when I put it away several weeks ago. I was using sta-bil in the gas for the last 2 months or so. however, the igniter went out on it about a month ago. The symptoms were the same. It has compression of about 110-120. The tester is old so I don't know how accurate it is. This engine is 10 years old so and this is the first time it won't start (other than the igniter). Maintenance has been performed regularly. Any suggestions?

#3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I didn’t check any of the switches. The dealer told me a switch problem would ground the coil and I would get no spark. As it is it does have spark. It is entirely possible that one of the switches is intermittently grounding the coil so it wont start. A burnt intake valve has also been thrown around but I don’t see how that can keep an engine from starting. Any other suggestions. I know Kawasaki is a popular engine now on commercial equipment and I can see why. 10 years and this is the first engine problem.

#8 ·
I tried Starting Fluid (ether) but that did not even work. I thought I would get at least a good second or two of running from that but no go. I have never considered that the oil would keep it from starting. The tractor is almost 10 years old and all the safety switches and engine parts are original (except the igniter). I will let everyone know what the shop finds out. Until then if anyone has any other ideas I would like to hear them. Thanks to everyone who has helped out.

#13 ·
Try removing the safety switches from their connection to the engine. I believe the connect on the right side of the engine if facing from operator's position. Make sure the it's not grounding out via the kill switch wire which is in the rear of the engine. See if it will start with all possible groundings removed. If it still doesn't then the electrical stuff isn't your problem.

#15 ·
PULL the plug, squirt several drops of gasoline into the cylinder and replace the plug. if it fires several times and then quits, you know you got a fuel delivery problem.

that particular motor is quite cold natured. I think they probably are. on mine, when temp is below 50 degrees, I pull the starter, nothing happens. pull again, one pop. pull again two pops. pull a third time and it will usually go.

GEO

#16 ·
Thanks to everyone for their comments. The repair shop called. The engine has a burnt exhaust valve. They are going to replace both valves. It is an extra $10 for the intake valve. Apparently my failure to properly clean the cooling fins under the shroud caused it to overheat and burn the valve. Does this sound right? Moral of the story. Go clean your cooling fins. Any comments are still appreciated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.