Kawasaki FB460V - voltage regulator?

jamess

LawnSite Member
I've got an older Snapper Rider mower with a Kawasaki FB460V engine on it. It wouldn't start this season, wouldn't even crank. The battery is fully charged and the "key" circuit tests ok. I noticed that there was what appeared to be some melted electrical tape wrapped around some of the wires leading to the starter. When I pulled them apart I noticed a small rectangular device that looks quite heat damaged. I'm assuming that this is the culprit. I can make out the name "Lucas" and a number "ro933048" on it. Is this a diode or some sort of voltage regulator?'
Does it need to be there? (can I bypass it?)

I haven't tried, I don't want to burn something else out.

OP
J

jamess

LawnSite Member
Well it appears that I am an idiot. The starter is getting power.... (I forgot that the ignition switch didn't power the starter, there is a seperate push button for the starter).

The wires are actually leading to the solinoid it seems not the starter. There are 3 wires leading from the solinoid, 2 black and one white. The white wire runs to the ignition key which is grounded. 1 of the black wires runs to the negative battery terminal and the other black wire runs to the component then to the positive battery terminal.

Top Forums