• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Kawasaki FC150V igniter??

apache23

LawnSite Member
Hello. I have worked on mowers and pretty much every other type of lawn service equipment for years. Until last week, I had never heard of an "igniter." My neighbor has 3 Snapper push mowers and all have Kawasaki FC150V engines. Her husband passed away and she asked me if I could get any of them running, so of course I said I would. As I was diagnosing no-start issues, I stumbled upon this igniter part and was pretty amazed that I had never heard of it and that none of the 3 engines had one installed. As I looked into these a little further, i noticed that these 3 models weren't supposed to have igniters. So I guess my question is, am I the only one who feels stupid that I had never heard of an igniter?...lol. And why do some of these FC159V's have igniters and some don't? If they both have coils and magneto's, why would one engine also need an igniter? OK, so that was more than one question...lol. Thanks in advance!

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
Well, them igniters have been around fer years. They use different coils and are basically an older ign system, right?
They were an early transistorized ign. system. The " newer " coils have all them gizmos contained in the " coil ".
And yes, yes you ARE the only one that feels stoopid ! LOL...jes kiddin' !
They make aftermarket igniters if you ever need to replace one.

Last edited:
OP
A

apache23

LawnSite Member
Well, them igniters have been around fer years. They use different coils and are basically an older ign system, right?
They were an early transistorized ign. system. The " newer " coils have all them gizmos contained in the " coil ".
And yes, yes you ARE the only one that feels stoopid ! LOL...jes kiddin' !
They make aftermarket igniters if you ever need to replace one.
So why do the 3 mowers I'm working on (all FC150V's), which didn't come with igniters all have the same exact coil as the FC150V's that use igniters? The coil part numbers are exactly the same for those with and without igniters. Also, the flywheel/magneto part numbers are same as well. thanks for the reply.

Attachments

OP
A

apache23

LawnSite Member
Did ya get 'em runnin ?
The one I'm trying to figure out runs, but surges. It runs ok on choke and from idle to half-throttle, then it starts missing and then surges. I've tried about everything I know and have read that most people end up pulling their hair out trying to correct this.......so they get a new carb and it fixes it. Governor is adjusted correctly, I've disassembled and cleaned the carb 3 times.....the weird thing is, the plug isn't lean, it's always kinda wet and black.....so why would it run fine on choke? I've tried 3 different spark plugs, 89 octane no ethanol gas.....regapped the coil.....cleaned all ground wires.....ughh! I have one mower that runs great....think I'm going to take the carb off of it and try it.