• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Kawasaki fc420v engine Seems frozen but no explanation

Graveslawncare

LawnSite Senior Member
Ok, I'm getting really frustrated cuz I have been trying to get everything running in ship shape before the season starts, and I just got my peerless transmission back together after having some problems with it. So I FINALLY get it fixed and put back together, roll the mower into the driveway, and pull the pull cord, except....it won't pull! It's frozen, won't turn at all. Now I have NEVER had a problem with this engine, it faithfully starts on the second or third pull, even in the winter. Now its completely frozen. This makes no sense at all because I recently changed the oil. Before I changed the oil, I had run it and it ran fine. Then I drained the oil, and put new oil in it AND I HAVE NOT RUN THE MOTOR SINCE. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but if an engine is going to lock up, it has to be running and not have enough oil in it, causing it to seize up. This is why this makes absolutely no sense to me, because it has not been run since I changed the oil. To my knowledge, motors don't just seize up sitting in the garage. I'm stumped. If anyone has any idea what on earth could be wrong and/or how to fix it, PLEASE let me know! I'm so ready to be done with all this crap and mowing grass again!

I MOW ALONE

LawnSite Silver Member
hydro locked. float needle aint seating so cylinder is full of fuel. take plug out and pull and se if fuel comes spitting out. you will have clean carb and put new needle and seat and also drain oil cause it is surely got fuel in it.

OP
Graveslawncare

Graveslawncare

LawnSite Senior Member
Ok, so how does it get "hydro locked" just sitting in the garage not running? And can you explain this needle thing to me? I'm unfamiliar with this. Thanks!

I MOW ALONE

LawnSite Silver Member
gas comes into carb fills bowl when float rises it pushes needle up to stop fuel flow. if there is a piece of dirt or something it can get obstructed preventing the needle from seating therefore not stopping fuel flow. so where does all the excess fuel go. in to cylider and crankcase.

OP
Graveslawncare

Graveslawncare

LawnSite Senior Member
Gotcha. And this would cause the engine to not be able to turn at all as if it is locked up?

DT Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
Has it been sitting in the cold? Maybe try letting it sit overnight in a warm garage or something. Stuff can get stuck in cold weather. It could be full of gas as IMA said, that has happened to me before. After that happened, I put fuel shut-offs on all of my mowers and turn them every night.

Also, from now on I would run the motor AFTER adding oil to make sure everything gets a splash and your filter and everything has oil.

OP
Graveslawncare

Graveslawncare

LawnSite Senior Member
Ok, I drained the oil. No fuel in it, so back to square 1. And no, It has not been in the cold. It has been in the garage all winter. Its sitting out in the sun right now. Anyways, still stumped........

Phil G

LawnSite Senior Member
Ok, I drained the oil. No fuel in it, so back to square 1. And no, It has not been in the cold. It has been in the garage all winter. Its sitting out in the sun right now. Anyways, still stumped........

hi, just a couple of ideas, remove plug and try pulling engine over.

Check under deck, is the belt free on the pulley? Making sure all levers are in neutral.

If it still does not turn remove the four bolts holding the recoil assy and try and turn by hand.

Good luck, Phil

MikeKle

LawnSite Platinum Member
That same exact thing happened to my Metro with the 420 engine last spring, it wouldnt pull at all, and fuel was dripping out of the plug hole, it turned out to be the float needle and it was a pretty cheap fix, just a PITA! However I faithfully put stabil in everything every year so why it didnt work last year is beyond me?

TGM

LawnSite Senior Member
run marine sta-bil rather than the regular stuff.

you drained the oil, but did you pull the spark plugs out?

if it's not hydro locked due to the carb float sticking open, then it could be that the piston rings are rusted to the cylinder walls. spray some pb blaster into the cylinders and let them sit for a day.