Kawasaki FC540V

NomeX

LawnSite Member
Hi have a JD 260, Kawi FV540V A , 17HP single slug engine 344 hours.
Well to sum up a long story, when it would reach temp, it would SHUT off.
So we went the new aif filter, new fuel filter , new fuel Pump and Lines from the carb to the steel line under the seat, re built the Carbrator as the not availible new gaskets, needle seat, jet, and the related gaskets, apon disasemble there one O ring on the jet screw was funky cracked ect.
each and every step, I re assembled and had the same out come. even yesterday with the 50 deg F after reaching temp. it would start up and just run 30 ft of a few min . I also replaced the gas cap ( first thing i did think vapor lock)
I am about ready to break out the Desert Eagle on it ARGHHHHHH:hammerhead:

???

RocketLab

LawnSite Member
Coils? Had one coil go bad on my FH480 so ran on one cylinder. Could it be possible both coils going bad and stop working when it gets hot? Have you checked spark when it's doing this?

piston slapper

LawnSite Platinum Member
Possible bad coil....there is a white wire that comes from the harness near the dipstik....unplug it and see how long it runs....

Does the engine crank back up after it stalls.....or do you have to wait.....
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
N

NomeX

LawnSite Member
I'll try to answer in Order..
1. Safety Switch ? seat ? low oil pressure. I jumped out the seat switch and disconnected the low oil pressure sire. same thing.

2. wire by the dip stick tube, the go's to the coil. got a new coil from the local JD dealer they say it's good but I have NO spark with it installed. old one re installed and fires up, I use a neon in-line to check spark, the governor surges as it keeps trying to run, and there is spark on the spark plug cable. I even push the throttle cable to full choke it would stumble then quit.

I have to wait to re-fire engine I pull the plug at the bottom of the carburetor it has gas, the fuel filter full , Wish I could get another carburetor for this.... other then that the mower/deck frame etc are in Great condition other wise the DARK side would put it out of it's misery :dizzy:

piston slapper

LawnSite Platinum Member
Remove the fuel line from the carb and see how the fuel flows..
JD may have sold you the wrong coil...Check the flywheel magnet...If it has 2 screws then its uses a coil and an external igniter...1 screw uses solid state coil.