Kawasaki FD750D

Brian Coots

LawnSite Member
Hey guys...I'm a new member but have viewed threads for a number of years. There's a lot of great info so appreciate all the time everyone puts in.

Anyways, I came across a Kawasaki FD750D for what I think was a great price. I run a pressure washing business so was hoping to throw a 8 gpm pump on it. I'm not sure if it'll be worth trying to get this thing setup or not because I'm not sure what all it's missing to run as a stand alone engine. I'm guessing it came out of a mower. It doesn't have the radiator, coolant reservoir, fuel pump, muffler, ecu, voltage regulator, and ignition switch. Those are just the parts I know it's missing. I've never messed with a fuel injected small engine so I know nothing about them. The engine has the wiring harness. As far as the ecu is it as simple as just getting one and plugging it in to the harness? Would I be better off just converting it to a carb and that's if it's even an easy conversion?

Does anyone know what it will take to get this thing going if it was pulled out of a mower or tractor?

Thanks!

20190804_101538[1].jpg

20190804_102416[2].jpg

20190804_102356[1].jpg

20190804_102333[1].jpg

nw883

LawnSite Member
The real question is, why would someone sell you a motor with a bunch of the critical components removed? Before I would consider buying any parts to get it running, I would first do a compression test. Then price out parts and see if it's worth your time.

BTW, are you sure this is a DFI model? I thought all FD750D's were carbureted. I know the FD791D is DFI.

OP
B

Brian Coots

LawnSite Member
Some great questions and great points. To be honest I bought it on a whim and had no idea what I was looking at. I took a chance at $150 in hopes it would work for me. Seemed like an honest kid so I just went with it. He wasn't the original owner so he might've pawned it off on me after someone pawned it off on him or he might not have known exactly what he had. I don't know anything about these Kawasaki's. Before posting I just assumed it was made for a tractor and the other parts were mounted separately under the hood. Sounds like that's not the case.

With all the little sensors I just assumed it was fuel injected since I just took his word for it. What I thought were injectors might be fuel shutoff solenoids. It sure looks like it has a carb.

I'll check compression and go from there.

You've definitely been very helpful. Thank you

20190804_214823[1].jpg

20190804_214844[1].jpg

nw883

LawnSite Member
I guess I learn something new everyday. That does indeed look like an injector. After doing some research, it looked like the EFI FD750D-NS12 was a spec for that was specific to the John Deere x730 tractors - 2014 & up .

$150 was a great deal, regardless if it ran or not. If it's got solid compression, I'd look for good used parts if you can find any. Buying new parts could potentially offset your good deal. Or you could just sell it as a long block or even part out it and then find an engine that is better matched for your 8GPM pump.

OP
B

Brian Coots

LawnSite Member
I think this one was manufactured in 2016. Now I'm interested in knowing the back story on it and why someone would pull it out of tractor? Someone had previously written on the oil filter 524 so figure that's the hours.

I had posted on another forum and someone said pretty much the same thing as you. "There's a reason why someone pulled it so check compression first".

First thing I'm going to do is take your advice and sit down and price parts only if compression is good. Do these have the decompressor like other small engines? Can I do an actual compression test or do I need to do a leak down? What's the minimum compression that I'm looking for on one of these? 125?

Most of us pressure washing guys use a Honda GX690 for our 8 gpm washers. We run the heck out of them all day in the summer heat. I don't know of anyone running a Kawasaki. I'm more interested in the liquid cooled aspect of the engine. I'd love to see how many hours I can get out of one.

Last edited:

nw883

LawnSite Member
I think this one was manufactured in 2016. Now I'm interested in knowing the back story on it and why someone would pull it out of tractor? Someone had previously written on the oil filter 524 so figure that's the hours.

I had posted on another forum and someone said pretty much the same thing as you. "There's a reason why someone pulled it so check compression first".

First thing I'm going to do is take your advice and sit down and price parts only if compression is good. Do these have the decompressor like other small engines? Can I do an actual compression test or do I need to do a leak down? What's the minimum compression that I'm looking for on one of these? 125?

I would assume it has a compression release. I can't find much info on this particular engine. The only service manual I could find was for carbureted FD750D and DFI FD791D from 2001. I would imagine the engine design/internals should be similar if not the same to your 2014 model.

The manual says 170psi minimum with a warm engine and at WOT, which seems really high. Most of the V-twin kawasaki's that I've worked on, around 100 psi is the minimum. The important thing is to check for even numbers between the cylinders with no more than 8-10% variance.

Here's the manual for the Carb. FD750D and DFI FD791D.
http://www.encoreequipment.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/27hp_FD750D1.pdf

Most of us pressure washing guys use a Honda GX690 for our 8 gpm washers. We run the heck out of them all day in the summer heat. I don't know of anyone running a Kawasaki. I'm more interested in the liquid cooled aspect of the engine. I'd love to see how many hours I can get out of one.
You can't go wrong with those GX series Hondas. They are great engines. I have a 11hp GX340 on my pressure washer and a 8hp GX270 on a trash pump I own. Neither one has ever skipped a beat over the past 5-6 years I've owned them.

OP
B

Brian Coots

LawnSite Member
Thanks guys! You have been extremely helpful! I have a feeling this will end up being an off season project if it's even worth doing. At least I'll have plenty of time to get parts lined up.

I'll download a manual and hopefully find some time to do a leakdown test this evening. I'm anxious to know if it'll work. I originally thought if it wouldn't work for a pressure washer I could throw it in our golf cart...lol. I have an 18hp clone in it right now. I had better upgrade the steering before going with anymore hp. It doesn't do well at the 30 mph it will currently do. It's just an old 91 ezgo though.

Those Honda GX engines are bulletproof and I have no complaints about them at all. I think I bought the Kawasaki out of curiosity more than anything. Well, and because of the hp and knowing it could easily run an 8 gpm 3500 psi. Possibly even get 10 gpm and 2800 psi. I only use that much psi on concrete or brick though. Just about everything else is all about the detergents or chemicals.

I kind of guessed on which forums would be helpful and I'm definitely glad I found you guys here.

I'll update the thread once I do the cylinder leakdown test.