1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki FH vs FS engines

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by fredmullegun, Apr 13, 2010.

1. fredmullegun

fredmullegun LawnSite Senior Member

I found a link about the FS engines saying

http://www.outdoorpowerequipment.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=43E91E7F6E244F4C9357F73BE3523C30&nm=News+and+Features&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=893880EBE2784954A424CA3585ACE453

Exmark uses these engine on their Metro now when they used to use (I think) FH series.

Is this a downgrade from the FH series? Scag just claims they use a Kawasaki KAI 16hp anyone know if it is also the FS series?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You can go here; http://www.kawpowr.com/engines/index.aspx

And compare them for yourself, The FS has the same warranty as the FH series. The 500 hr compliant thing is for EPA, After X hours of wear any engine can fall slightly out of EPA standards....

3. fredmullegun

fredmullegun LawnSite Senior Member

They have the same rating for trimmers though. Commercial is 300, home owners are 50.

4. RonAyersMotorsports

RonAyersMotorsports LawnSite Senior Member

FH and KAI engines are intended for commercial use, misuse, and abuse. The FS and FR series are a downgrade. If I remember correctly. Most FS and FR series are usually found on more residential equipment.

5. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

The new engines use pretty much all the same blocks/heads. The FR's usually get a cheaper single barrel carb and filter. The FS is a step up, cant remember if they are double barrel but this is the line you will see on most walkbehinds or low-mid level ZTR's. The FX is the top of the line with double barrel carbs, DFI, canister air filters...

Like I said though the internal engine is the same...just different carbs/air filters for the most part.

FH is going away like FC and FB before it did.