1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki FH430V Loping Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ledvinafamily, May 24, 2009.

1. ledvinafamily

ledvinafamily LawnSite Member

I recently purchased a 2004 eXmark 36 inch Turf Tracer HP that had a Kawasaki FH430V 15HP engine. At low rpms the engine sounds like it is going to die at higher rpms the engine runs fine. The mecahnics at a local dealership called this "loping." They first suggested that I take off the carborator bowl and clean out any debries. I did that but the problem continued. The dealer mechanic then said that there is a jet on the top of the carborator that needed cleaned. I took the carborator off but could not find and jet to clean.

Can anyone advise where to find this jet to clean?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

There is no removable idle speed jet on this carb, Remove the limit cap #1 carefully then close the adjuster #2 until lightly seated counting the number of turns it takes. Now remove it completely and shoot carb & choke cleaner with the little straw through this port, Spray it good then re-install the adjuster until lightly seated then open back up the number of turns counted before.

The engine should idle as normal now, If not open (screw out) this adjuster a little at a time and see if it doesn't idle properly.

[​IMG]

Good Luck

3. IRRITECH

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

RestroRob you are the man. I was going to tell him to really tear the carb apart but you beat me to it with better info, pics and all.

Where do you get those breakdowns, I would like to have them available when I tear things apart

4. Restrorob

Oh....Those pretty pics ?

I get them from all over the net, I've got two computers and two host sites full.

5. ledvinafamily

ledvinafamily LawnSite Member

Thanks for the diagram of the carb.

How do I "carefully" remove the limit cap?

Do I pull up on it with a pair of pliers?

Thanks for your help.

6. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

I usually pull them off with a pair of needle nose pliars, sometimes a flat blade screwdriver will work too. I don't put them back on though. Just me though.

7. Restrorob

Mudder has the right idea, But be very careful so you don't snap the end off of it.

8. ElysianLandscapes

ElysianLandscapes LawnSite Member
    Male, from Madison WI

Did this fix your problem? I have the exact same issue and engine. I will be doing a youtube video if it works. Thanks

9. ElysianLandscapes

ElysianLandscapes LawnSite Member
    Male, from Madison WI

The solutions in this thread fixed my issue. I was having low power issues and when I put the machine at low speed it would instantly die. Also, if I tried to engage the mower blades it would kill it. Solution for me was to take the carb apart including the jets, clean with gumout, place back on and start it up. simple solution. I recommend the following video :

If the link doesnt work, just type in Kawaskai FH430 carburetor and view topnotch's video.

Cheers

10. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Very happy to find this thread... my KW/Gravely w/b has irritatingly loped for nearly 10 years.