Kawasaki fh451v & clutch problems.

EVM

LawnSite Senior Member
I have an fh451v. Recently the clutch started working intermittently so I replaced the on off switch for the clutch and got the same problem. Then I replace the clutch and I still have the same intermittent problem. when I turn the blades on there is a hissing noise coming from the clutch not sure what that is but it happend on both clutches. I've gone over all the wiring and its fine. what could be the problem for the intermittent clutch nor working?

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

dutch1

LawnSite Silver Member
Since you've already replaced the switch and clutch, I'd take a look at the voltage available to the clutch--unhook the wiring harness at the clutch and with a VOM, check the voltage with the engine at WOT and clutch switch on. You ought to have 13+ volts at the harness.

OP
E

EVM

LawnSite Senior Member
Since you've already replaced the switch and clutch, I'd take a look at the voltage available to the clutch--unhook the wiring harness at the clutch and with a VOM, check the voltage with the engine at WOT and clutch switch on. You ought to have 13+ volts at the harness.

Checked the voltage with a multimeter and the dial setting on 9V. I was getting 17 volts at the harness.

Restrorob

LawnSite Fanatic
9 volt setting ?

All my meters have 20 volt DC setting, You shouldn't have over 14.8 DC volts. More like 13 low 14's......

OP
E

EVM

LawnSite Senior Member
So if I dont get the 13 or 14 dc volts am i supposed to replace the charging coil here or the ignition coil?

Jeff in AL

LawnSite Senior Member
What is the Spec. Number of your engine... FH451V-????

Electric start or manual start?

Restrorob

LawnSite Fanatic
Good questions Jeff, I just assumed electric start......

Jeff in AL

LawnSite Senior Member
With a manual start and electric PTO, you should just have 2 wires coming off the engine. One for the ignition kill lead and one from the stator to power the PTO... See Wire Diagram below.

With that type of setup you have an unregulated stator which is a single wire that should have an output of 28 Volts AC @ 3000 RPM... See Electrical Specs. below.

Also included is how to test the stator if low output is found... See Testing Stator below.

Attachments

• Electrical Specs..pdf
    15.1 KB · Views: 188
  • Testing Stator Coil Resistance.pdf
    39.4 KB · Views: 206
  • Wiring Diagram Recoil Start With Charging Coil.pdf
    44.5 KB · Views: 170

Top Forums