Kawasaki FH500v AS 03 oil drain

rixtag

LawnSite Senior Member
It's a pita to drain the oil when doing an oil change because the oil runs all over the place. Had anyone found a way to extend the drain out past the frame or put a hose on it to make it less messy? Pics if you have them.

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
Its been covered on here a while ago. I think Kaw makes an adapter.
Search on here or GOOGLE.

Breezmeister

LawnSite Silver Member

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
Dont know Kawasaki specifically but most small engines I've seen use pipe thread drain plugs. Hydraulic hose happens to be pipe thread! I've threaded a short length of hose on many a machine to make oil changes easy.
Why the manufacturers don't all do this like exmark does I dunno.
I cap the free end if the hose with a quarter turn ball valve and remove the handle.

Breezmeister

LawnSite Silver Member
Dont know Kawasaki specifically but most small engines I've seen use pipe thread drain plugs.

Brigs used to...I know that Kawasaki does not on all their newer engines, It's Japanese/Metric pipe thread, pretty sure same with Honda. Don't remember what Kohler uses, but considering that all the hardware is metric on them, I would doubt that it's standard pipe thread......

Tecumseh does/did, I've made alot of extensions on snow throwers with 1/4 and 3/8 pipe nipples

flintknapper

LawnSite Senior Member
Scag 482349 Oil Drain Valve Metric M20 X 2.5 Threads fits some Kawasaki 19-25
^^^^

Exactly what have on my KAW with a rubber extension tube on it.

You just unscrew the square portion of the valve (shown to the right in the pick above) and it allows the oil to drain. Then close off again, change oil...and be done with it.

OP
rixtag

rixtag

LawnSite Senior Member
Great ideas! Thanks fellas. There's a local place that makes hoses and I think I'll stop in and get one made. From what I can see it's 20x2.5 thread pitch. Is that right?

flintknapper

LawnSite Senior Member
Great ideas! Thanks fellas. There's a local place that makes hoses and I think I'll stop in and get one made. From what I can see it's 20x2.5 thread pitch. Is that right?
I can't verify the thread pitch, sorry, but that is the same oil drain valve I have my Kawasaki Engine FH601V

scagman52

LawnSite Senior Member
Y
I think your missing the point here. You don't need to have a hose made. This part screws into the block. You attach a clear hose to the part and open the valve and you can see just what comes out! Clear hose at HD is about a $1