Kawasaki FR651V Charging System Not Working. Please Help.

bamab2

LawnSite Member
Toro Timecutter SS5000
Kawasaki FR651V 22 HP

The charging system is not working properly. These are the results of the checks I've done so far:
1. The stator output is 30.5 VAC at full throttle. According to what I have read, it should be 27 VAC minimum. Should be good?
2. The stator resistance across the two wires is .3 ohms. Same as another smaller Kawaski engine I have in a Cud Cadet.
3. The regulator output is 4.5 VDC.

I initial assumed it was the regulator so I purchased an new, Kawasaki, regulator. It has 0 VDC output. I took both regulators to a shop for testing and both tested good. I cleaned the connections as well.

I would appreciate any help on what to check next. Thanks

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
Is the regulator ground clean and tight. Module has to be grounded to work properly. Check fuses? Check electrical connectors, should be clean and tight. Damaged wiring? Good luck.

OP
B

bamab2

LawnSite Member
Thanks @JoeRagMan for the reply. I have cleaned all of the connections at the regulator. I'm confused because I appear to have good voltage from the stator but only 4.5 volts output. The new regulator has 0 volts output. My Cub Cadet has about 32 volts from the stator and it's regulator output is almost 16 volts.

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
Only other things I can think of is make sure fuse holders are not corroded and fuses are making a good connection ( fuse feels tight when installing) and check ignition switch connector and switch itself. Might want to go to Toro’s website for a wiring diagram.

OP
B

bamab2

LawnSite Member
Found a wiring diagram and will check and clean what I can find. The mower starts and runs fine as long as the battery is charged. I can mow for a while and it will restart but if I mow for an extended time or multiple over a couple days, then the battery will drain down. Give it a short charge and it's good to go. Also good if I give it a short charge and wait a few days. Still cranks right up.

I don't see any fuses between the stator and regulator per the diagram. But, I am getting good voltage from it anyway. Just not getting good voltage out of the regulator. I'm not an electrical expert by any means so I may be missing something easy.

@JoeRagMan

american dream

LawnSite Senior Member
You most likely need a new battery

OP
B

bamab2

LawnSite Member
This may be a dumb question but shouldn't I have more than 4.5 volts output at the regulator (checked on the regulator with the wire disconnected)? Will a bad battery effect that output? @american dream

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Try a separate ground to the regulator, good clean ground, see if that helps

OP
B

bamab2

LawnSite Member
Cleaned up the existing regulator ground again and added an additional ground point. Still only 4.5 volts output. I have a 17 HP Kawasaki on my Cub. The regulator looks to have the same connections but is shaped different. Would it hurt to try that regulator on this 22 hp engine? Can a regulator test good on the bench tester but still have bad output?

@JoeRagMan
@hal