Lawn Care Forum banner

Kawasaki FR651V Charging System Not Working. Please Help.

14K views 47 replies 12 participants last post by  VegetiveSteam 
#1 ·
Toro Timecutter SS5000
Kawasaki FR651V 22 HP

The charging system is not working properly. These are the results of the checks I've done so far:
1. The stator output is 30.5 VAC at full throttle. According to what I have read, it should be 27 VAC minimum. Should be good?
2. The stator resistance across the two wires is .3 ohms. Same as another smaller Kawaski engine I have in a Cud Cadet.
3. The regulator output is 4.5 VDC.

I initial assumed it was the regulator so I purchased an new, Kawasaki, regulator. It has 0 VDC output. I took both regulators to a shop for testing and both tested good. I cleaned the connections as well.

I would appreciate any help on what to check next. Thanks

#3 ·
Thanks @JoeRagMan for the reply. I have cleaned all of the connections at the regulator. I'm confused because I appear to have good voltage from the stator but only 4.5 volts output. The new regulator has 0 volts output. My Cub Cadet has about 32 volts from the stator and it's regulator output is almost 16 volts.

#5 ·
Found a wiring diagram and will check and clean what I can find. The mower starts and runs fine as long as the battery is charged. I can mow for a while and it will restart but if I mow for an extended time or multiple over a couple days, then the battery will drain down. Give it a short charge and it's good to go. Also good if I give it a short charge and wait a few days. Still cranks right up.

I don't see any fuses between the stator and regulator per the diagram. But, I am getting good voltage from it anyway. Just not getting good voltage out of the regulator. I'm not an electrical expert by any means so I may be missing something easy.

@JoeRagMan

#8 ·
Try a separate ground to the regulator, good clean ground, see if that helps

#10 ·
Cleaned up the existing regulator ground again and added an additional ground point. Still only 4.5 volts output. I have a 17 HP Kawasaki on my Cub. The regulator looks to have the same connections but is shaped different. Would it hurt to try that regulator on this 22 hp engine? Can a regulator test good on the bench tester but still have bad output?

@JoeRagMan
@hal

#11 ·
Cleaned up the existing regulator ground again and added an additional ground point. Still only 4.5 volts output. I have a 17 HP Kawasaki on my Cub. The regulator looks to have the same connections but is shaped different. Would it hurt to try that regulator on this 22 hp engine? Can a regulator test good on the bench tester but still have bad output?

@JoeRagMan
@hal
just be sure you ground it to engine

#28 ·
OK. Busy day today. Charged the battery for about an hour this morning. It wasn't dead but was dragging a little from testing things yesterday. It then sat for about 6 hours. Checked the voltage across the battery at 12.9 v with the engine off. Started the mower. Checked the voltage at idle and got 12.8. Checked the voltage at full throttle and got 12.8. Mowed for about 30-45 minutes. Before shutting the motor off I checked the voltage again at idle and at full throttle. Both checked at 12.6 volts. ideas?

Thanks for the manual link @BigFish

#29 ·
Voltage should be over 13 at idle, 14 at full throttle

#30 ·
Voltage should be over 13 at idle, 14 at full throttle
Yes, that's what put me on this path originally. I get 30.5v AC out of the stator and only 4.5v DC out of the regulator. I assumed I had a bad regulator. Installed a new one and it had 0v DC output. Both the old and new regulator tested good on a bench tester. The battery seems to check good.

#31 ·
Could be (we really don't know specifically, we aren't there) the wires from stator to regulator

#34 ·
Thanks. Yes, I've read through the manual but I can't pinpoint the issue. I must be missing something. The mower starts and run fine as long as the battery is charged. After mowing for 3-4 hours it starts to drag on restart or will not turn over at all. At full throttle, I get 30.5v output from the stator but only 4.5v output from the regulator. Installed a new regulator and it has 0v output. Both regulators test good on a bench test.

#35 ·
Is your battery ground to the chassis real clean?

#37 ·
Does your VR have a ground wire mounted to one of the mounting bolts that goes to the engine shroud bolt ?

Organism Handwriting Font Gesture Automotive lighting

#39 ·
I think you have a bad stator.........Check out the attachment. if you need the Service manual, I can attach that too......

Attachments

#43 ·
I read you looked at the grounds but did you actually remove them and clean them? I've seen this happen that people inspect them but don't physically remove them and they won't have good connections. I see it more on sprayers than mowers but have seen it on mowers also. Had one come in shop the other day saying we checked the grounds but when I ohmed the grounds found over 100 ohms from ground wire on regulator to shroud.

#44 ·
That's what I was getting at, good post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.