Kawasaki FS541 16hp leaking gas!! HELP

gibbonsballer10

LawnSite Senior Member
I have a toro 36'' with a 16hp kawasaki. Model 30074. Two days ago it was running fine with no problems. Today i go into my trailer to see that its leaking gas from the exhaust pipe where there is a bolt and clasp connecting the muffler and pipe. Also, the engine is very hard to pull (cant pull full thrust) and it wont crank over, and when I pull the starter rope, it sounds like gas is dripping in the muffler or somewhere in the engine. Anyone know what this could be? I cut off the fuel valve and it still leaks. Also, i changed the transmission belt a couple days ago too if that would affect anything.

MSTmarc

LawnSite Member
The needle in the carburetor is not closing off the fuel. Fuel enters the carburetor and the float pushes what we call a needle when the bowl reaches the proper level. If the float does not do this or if there is debris or bad seals on the needle the fuel will not stop and fuel will enter the cylinder. Then it will make its way out of the exhaust and also go into the engine oil. Now you need to change the engine oil before you start this machine its gas filled and will not properly lubricate the internal engine parts. You will have to repair the carburetor if you can.

OP
G

gibbonsballer10

LawnSite Senior Member
The needle in the carburetor is not closing off the fuel. Fuel enters the carburetor and the float pushes what we call a needle when the bowl reaches the proper level. If the float does not do this or if there is debris or bad seals on the needle the fuel will not stop and fuel will enter the cylinder. Then it will make its way out of the exhaust and also go into the engine oil. Now you need to change the engine oil before you start this machine its gas filled and will not properly lubricate the internal engine parts. You will have to repair the carburetor if you can.
not to challenge or question your intelligence, but how sure of this are you. Is all of the fuel in the cylinders the cause of it being hard to pull? Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
G

gibbonsballer10

LawnSite Senior Member
^Yup, sticking needle valve. Common cause of dirty fuel. Do not try to run the engine. Fix problem in the carb and change engine oil.
since i dont like doing major repairs i guess im going to have to take it to the repair ship. Any idea how much they would charge to fix the issue?
Posted via Mobile Device

MSTmarc

LawnSite Member
Time is the cost here. Unless there is somthing major with the carburetor I don't think it will but you never know. Hard to pull means it's hydro Locked and this is liquid is in the top of the cyliner and will cause major damage to the engine because liquid can not be compressed.

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
Call your repair shop first. Most shops are at their peak waiting list time right now from all the folks who don't Winterize their equipment. Hopefully you have a dealer that will move you to the front of the repair line. Money talks, so offering a nice $$$/tip may help.
Good luck.