Kawasaki FS651V - Engine Surging

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Chris12345, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Chris12345

Chris12345 LawnSite Member

I have a Dixie Chopper Magnum 2250 with a Kawasaki Fs651v engine. It is surging and does not idle up above 3550 rpm with the blades off. The rpm goes up and down 100 to 150 rpm just idling with blades off. It idles rough when blades are on also. I have put a new fuel filter, plugs, and air filter on it. Should I pull the carb and clean it? Thoughts?

2. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Silver Member

Check to see if you have an in tank fuel filter. Sometimes they get full of debris restricting fuel flow. Otherwise, you probably have crud in the carb. Here is a link to the service manual for your engine. The carb section starts on page 3-14
    https://mymowerparts.com/pdf/Kawasa...ASAKI-SERVICE-REPAIR-MANUAL-99924-2093-01.pdf
    If cleaning the carb does not clear things up, I would check the governor adjustment, also covered in the service manual

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    TrainingWheels and sjessen like this.
  3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Welch plug missing?

Breezmeister and Walker56 like this.
  4. Chris12345

Thank you for all the responses. I will update once I find the problem.

5. prezek

prezek LawnSite Senior Member

Governor spring stretched?

6. Chris12345

I cleaned the carburetor and adjusted the governor spring with no success. I did not find a Welch plug on this carburetor. Here is a picture the spring I shorten since there was some play in the governor. I am currently uploading a YouTube video and will post a link with the engine surging. Any other thoughts?

https://www.lawnsite.com/media/kawasaki-fs651-carburetor.10031/full

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  7. Chris12345

Below is a link to the YouTube video.

8. Walker56

Did you completely disassemble the carb and clean every orifice? When was the last time you checked/adjusted the valves?

sjessen likes this.
  9. Chris12345

I completely disassembled the carb and cleaned it. I verified valve clearance is set. Cylinder 2 exhaust was off a little. I set them it to .051. Valve seats?

10. Walker56

Chris, did you set the valves to .051mm with the piston at TDC? Just checking.
    Have you tried to spray carb cleaner around the carb gasket and intake manifold(where it bolts to the engine) to see if the engine speeds up?
    Have ypu performed a compression test just to have a baseline?

sjessen likes this.