Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have one of the new FX Series motors from Kawasaki? It's a vertical shaft motor in 27/29/31/34/37 hp I believe. I've always liked the simplicity of the vertical shaft. Bob Cat offers the 27 on the Pro Cat and the 37 on the Predator Pro. Anyone know of any other mowers offering the FX Series?

· Registered
96 Posts
How is that 37 on gas? I don't need that much power... I'm looking at the 27 hp FX751 motor.
I have not done any measuring of fuel consumption rate, so I can't give you any definitive answer.

That raises the point; those who quote fuel rates per hour, how are they determining that, just eye-balling their fuel can as they fill? I would not think that the typical operator would have any accurate means of making that judgment.

· Registered
96 Posts
You don't have to do it like that. Fill it up at a gas station before you mow, and do it afterward. It's metered, so that makes it easy.

It's a little work, but totally necessary to measure a machine's consumption.
Your fill it at a station strategy is great and makes perfect sense, except that this machine never leaves my property, so I would have to figure out a way to do it with cans.

· Registered
1,503 Posts
Bigsnowdog, why don't you fill up one of your tanks until the gas gets to the bottom of the filler neck, then record the hours on the hour meter and when you run out of gas in that tank, record your new hrs, do the math and divide the hrs by the fuel capacity of your tank.

· Registered
96 Posts
Bigsnowdog, why don't you fill up one of your tanks until the gas gets to the bottom of the filler neck, then record the hours on the hour meter and when you run out of gas in that tank, record your new hrs, do the math and divide the hrs by the fuel capacity of your tank.
I certainly could do that. Interestingly, my dealer said that he likes to not run them out literally, as they can be hard to start from a run-out circumstance. Maybe that is not true.

· Registered
1,503 Posts
I certainly could do that. Interestingly, my dealer said that he likes to not run them out literally, as they can be hard to start from a run-out circumstance. Maybe that is not true.
That might apply to Fuel Injection more than a carb engine, since the carb engine has a choke. I've run out of gas in one of my tanks before and I just switched to the other tank and used the choke when I started it. It didn't take very long for it to start. Do you have a manual valve of somthing to switch from one tank to the other? I know that my neighbors Bad Boy mower doesn't have the tank selector switch/valve. It uses from both tanks at the same time, if I understood him correctly.

· Registered
96 Posts
That might apply to Fuel Injection more than a carb engine, since the carb engine has a choke. I've run out of gas in one of my tanks before and I just switched to the other tank and used the choke when I started it. It didn't take very long for it to start. Do you have a manual valve of somthing to switch from one tank to the other? I know that my neighbors Bad Boy mower doesn't have the tank selector switch/valve. It uses from both tanks at the same time, if I understood him correctly.
Yes, it has a manual tank selector valve.

· Registered
1,503 Posts
Anyone have one of the new FX Series motors from Kawasaki? It's a vertical shaft motor in 27/29/31/34/37 hp I believe. I've always liked the simplicity of the vertical shaft. Bob Cat offers the 27 on the Pro Cat and the 37 on the Predator Pro. Anyone know of any other mowers offering the FX Series?
I think that Bad Boy, Gravely and Country Clipper offer the newer Kawasaki's on some of their models now.

· Registered
42 Posts
As long as it didn't take multiple mows to empty that tank. Don't forget, fuel evaporates too, although slowly. Is you mower kept outside? That makes a difference too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.