Kawasaki fx1000v or Vanguard big block w/oil guard

miles&me

LawnSite Member
I am looking for opinions on these two engines. Please don't respond unless you have actual experience with either engine, Do they have any inherent problems? Is the fuel injection systems comparable to each other or is one better than the other? I can see where the oil guard system could be a plus but if the vanguard is a turd then it alone is not not enough to put up with problems. I know the fuel injection is supposed to be better for fuel economy, but it is also more expensive on repairs compared to carburetors. Does anything stand out as being bad on the kawasaki? thank you

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
I know the fuel injection is supposed to be better for fuel economy, but it is also more expensive on repairs compared to carburetors.
How often do you have fuel injection issues with your cars? Me personally, I have never. Definitely had carb issues on motorcycles, and small equipment machines.

HEMTT

LawnSite Senior Member
I wanted the Kawasaki EFI, only could the carb model this year for some reason, ended up going with the Yanmar 37hp diesel. I like the Kawasaki but I think 2 quarts of oil is too little, the carb version backfires when shut down and uses a bit too much fuel.

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
I have a 2018 Hustler Super Z Hyperdrive 72” with Vanguard Big Block 37 hp. EFI. Tripped 547 hrs. today, runs flawlessly.

I installed Tiny Tach when I purchased, bumped RPM's up to maintain 3550-3600 RPM's while mowing. I burn 1.3 gal. of gas per hour.

However, I wish the oil guard system had been available when I purchased. Also I would like to have ETC which is also now available. Some mowers now have a 1000 hr. hydraulic oil change interval, which would be great.

Bottom line, I love the Vanguard 100%.