Kawasaki fx691v problems

barclay berberian

LawnSite Member
Good afternoon and happy summer!

I have a Kawasaki FX691V that I am having problems with. At about 800 hours had one of the head gaskets replaced. About 100 or so hours later the other head gasket went out. I had it replaced and got it back and it still is not running 100%. The shop says the original side that was replaced has 30 % leak down. I am upset they did not tell me the engine would not run properly or I would have just replaced the engine before putting another 750 in for a new head. At this point what can be done to fix the machine or is replacement the only thing?

All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
How about doing a leak down test to see where the 30% compression is going? Has the maintenance been done at normal intervals? Are the cylinder cooling fins cleaned regularly? How many hours are on the engine total and what condition is the rest of the unit? If you have gotten many years of service from it, might be time to trade it for something new(er). Good luck.

OP
barclay berberian

barclay berberian

LawnSite Member
Good afternoon. Thanks! I have not asked the shop to do a leak down test. Would that tell the issue? I have changed oil regularly. Fins are cleaned. Air filter cleaned. The engine has 950 is hours on it. Rest of the mower is in good shape for being 4 years old and 950 hours.

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
With the leak down test, you would have an idea if a valve is leaking, piston rings are worn, etc. I do not have a leak down tester but use an air compressor and a pressure regulator to pressurize the cylinder at TDC to find a stuck exhaust valve. I got sticker shock when reading what it cost you to replace a cylinder head! I think the shop manager that you are using needs to help you out with a diagnosis so your not doing this again in the near future. See if they can give you a reduced labor rate for the repairs. Sorry that I can’t help you further, maybe watch some repair videos to see if you can do the work yourself? Save money!

OP
barclay berberian

barclay berberian

LawnSite Member
With the leak down test, you would have an idea if a valve is leaking, piston rings are worn, etc. I do not have a leak down tester but use an air compressor and a pressure regulator to pressurize the cylinder at TDC to find a stuck exhaust valve. I got sticker shock when reading what it cost you to replace a cylinder head! I think the shop manager that you are using needs to help you out with a diagnosis so your not doing this again in the near future. See if they can give you a reduced labor rate for the repairs. Sorry that I can’t help you further, maybe watch some repair videos to see if you can do the work yourself? Save money!
So the shop got back to me today and said the leak down was coming through the piston rings and damaged cylinder.

Said the engine was running at 3460 rpms. They turned up the throttle to run at 3600 rpms.

Not sure if I should mess with it or just run it until it blows.

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
Not sure that increasing the rpm’s is going to help with engine longevity, I don’t know where you are located but you might want to check with Kawasaki’s website, think they now recommend using 20w-50 engine oil if ambient air temp is in the 80-90 degree range. Didn’t know what you are using now but the thicker viscosity oil you use, the less oil it will burn.
Did the service department say what the cylinder damage was? Just wondering.
Keep us informed and good luck.

Top Forums