Kawasaki FX801V 26hp vs. Vangaurd EFI 28hp Oil Guard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by johndeereman123, Feb 14, 2018.

?

Engine

1. Vanguard

20 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. Kawasaki

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. johndeereman123

johndeereman123 LawnSite Member

Looking at purchasing a new Ferris SRS Z2 52" stander, but am stuck at which engine to pick. I have a Ferris SRS Z1 36" stander with the 19hp Kawasaki, and have stuck by Kawasaki with all my equipment with very few issues.

I haven't been able to see any recent threads regarding the Vanguard Oil Guard EFI engine VS Kawasaki Carb, so could anyone please tell me which one they prefer? I dont mind changing my oil twice a year, so the Oil Guard isn't a big factor in the decision. Both engines on the machine are the same price.

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 3.00.33 PM.png

2. Eric502

Eric502 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Kentucky

Just my thoughts..... Vanguard. Either engine will be excellent, and both have a very good reputation and track history. The oil guard means nothing to me other than extra oil cooling which is better for these engines. If I had an engine with the oilguard, it would get changed every year at least regardless of hours. But the efi also equates into some fuel savings, and if you get into heavier stuff then the added hp (if there is a measurable difference) and efi will keep the rpms up in range better. Also, some would argue, efi also CAN mean less issues with ethanol.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I have always had very good luck with Kawi engines, so I am a fan of them, but the Vangaurd is a few more CC's, EFI, and more HP. That'd be my choice.

sjessen likes this.
  4. Green Machine 2

Green Machine 2 LawnSite Member

I have never owned a Vanguard but I have owned multiple kawi's and love them. I have a 61" SRS Z2 with the Fx801v and it has been great. I can't speak for Vanguard though.

5. johndeereman123

Ok thanks for the input! I was leaning towards Kawi, but I will definitely consider the Vanguard. I've talked to some guys who use both and they say the EFI doesnt save them any gas, theyre practically the same fuel consumption. I have also heard that the Vanguard 28 in some aspects feels like the same or less power than the 26 Kawi, IDK. Thank you!

Eric502 and Green Machine 2 like this.
  6. johndeereman123

Yeah I wanted to stick with Kawasaki cause I know the engine and how to fix if ever need be, but they've always treated me well. I have heard some good things about the Vanguard, but many people say the experience the same or less power than the Kawasaki, as well as the same fuel consumption. Thanks for your input

Green Machine 2 likes this.
  7. Green Machine 2

Green Machine 2 LawnSite Member

Of course! Do the 2018's have the option of the Fx730v EFI? I wouldn't be against a Kawi EFI. In fact, I am picking up a Ferris IS2100 with the FX850 EFI in the next week or two! :cool2:

8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I've never heard anyone say that about the Vanguard, but it is said fairly often about the Kohler efi vs Kawi carb engine in the 25.5 class which is what the FX801 and Kohler 749 EFI are both rated at.

9. johndeereman123

Oh maybe thats what I read then lol idk

Ridin' Green likes this.
  10. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Bronze Member

I currently run a Kohler 34hp bigblock EFI engine that uses noticably less gas than a smaller displacement 30 hp carbed Kohler I had years ago. My experience with kohler EFI vs carbed engines is 15 to 25 percent better fuel economy. Doesn't sound huge but when your putting 500 hours on it a year the savings add up to a substantial amount of money. If you can get 3000 hours out of that efi machine you will have left several thousand dollars in your pocket vs the carbed kawi despite it not even being as strong an engine.

Would you buy a car with a carb in it?