Kawasaki HP Ratings Change

puppypaws

LawnSite Fanatic
I thought there may be a few that find this interesting, if someone can explain the drop I would like to hear their reasoning.

I find it hard to keep up with their changes, before this last change their engines were supposedly rated to within 2%. This would make the FX1000 I own which "was" advertised as 35 hp be at least 34.3 actual hp, now their specs are showing 31 hp, with the DFI model being the same, whereas before the DFI was advertised as 37 hp.

http://www.kawasaki-engines.eu/engines/4-stroke-vertical/fx-series/

doublesharp

LawnSite Senior Member
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics ~ Mark Twain

Since my DFI is now only 31hp I expect my fuel usage will decline a corresponding 20%... Fat chance!

Nwatson99

LawnSite Member
I thought there may be a few that find this interesting, if someone can explain the drop I would like to hear their reasoning.

I find it hard to keep up with their changes, before this last change their engines were supposedly rated to within 2%. This would make the FX1000 I own which "was" advertised as 35 hp be at least 34.3 actual hp, now their specs are showing 31 hp, with the DFI model being the same, whereas before the DFI was advertised as 37 hp.

http://www.kawasaki-engines.eu/engines/4-stroke-vertical/fx-series/

I do not know why Europe would be different from us, but here is the USA rating.
http://kawpower.com/engines/fx

WilsonBoud

LawnSite Member
Well, according to the KawPower site, the 1000 is still rated at 35hp, and the 921 is rated at 31hp.

Same as far back as three years ago when I researched buying Kaw. I don't see any change.

:usflag: :clapping: :usflag:

OP
puppypaws

puppypaws

LawnSite Fanatic
Well, according to the KawPower site, the 1000 is still rated at 35hp, and the 921 is rated at 31hp.

Same as far back as three years ago when I researched buying Kaw. I don't see any change.

:usflag: :clapping: :usflag:

I don't understand, if Kawasaki is rating under a tighter testing procedure in the US, how could there be such a tremendous drop in the UK? I was hoping someone may read this that can explain. This is very confusing, I don't see how this variance is possible.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
The europeans have a lot of odd laws/regulations that we don't have to adhere to here, at least as of now. I believe the hp difference is something related to how much HP a machine in a particular category is either allowed to have, or can have and not have a tariff of one sort or another placed on it when sold over there similar to the deal Harley got from the gov't here several years back regarding imported bikes from Japan in particular. Any bike over 700 cc's was levied a huge tariff. Probably something along those lines with the Kawi engine ratings.

The lower rating would be simple a matter of "de-tuning" the carb on machines sold there. A good example would be the FX1000 vs the FX 921 here. Same everything with the exception of the carb.

Choppin

LawnSite Bronze Member
I see they use a different rating J 1349... I bet that's part if the difference also... It could be a more true rating
Posted via Mobile Device

Top Forums