1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki on exmark won't start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by StevieZ, Apr 30, 2008.

1. StevieZ

StevieZ LawnSite Member

I Have a Exmark metro 36, with a fb460c Kawasaki. New carb, NGK plug with good spark, I get some back fire through the carb, I've had it running and runs great, just hard to pull start, many pulls! I'm trying to find a service manual, and I'm thinking about grinding the valves and seats. Any input is welcome.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Steve,

Backfiring through the carb is a good sign of a non-seating intake valve, A leak-down test would verify this.

Here is the valve service procedures;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also check the valve guides for wear should you open it up.

Good Luck

3. StevieZ

StevieZ LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info, I just ordered a service manual and I hope to pull it apart this weekend. My dealer is 7 weeks behind, I'm hoping the local machine shop can grind the valves and the seats, I can lap them but that's about it.

I'll post an update later.

4. StevieZ

StevieZ LawnSite Member

I pulled the head and found a few of the bolts loose. I will check the head for warpage, The intake valve has a groove worn in it. I'm going to take the valveS and see if they can be refaced. I'm hoping to find a place that can grind the seats in a day or 2 vs the 7 weeks the dealer is behind. I think the auto motive machine shop in town will do it.

I received my service manual today.

I'll keep you posted.

5. StevieZ

StevieZ LawnSite Member

Got the valves refaced and lapped in, they look good, I set the valve clearences. Now I need the gaskets and see how it starts.

6. StevieZ

StevieZ LawnSite Member

Got it put together, and it started on the second pull runs great. Thanks for all the help.

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Good Deal Steve....[​IMG]

8. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

just in the nick of time with all the rain in the region ,
    these lawns are going to be thick this week .

time of year to hustle :walking: