Kawasaki rebuild or replacement advice

FIRESCOOBY

LawnSite Bronze Member
I have a John Deere Z810A with a Kawasaki FH661V-BS06-R that apparently has a cylinder down, it's still at the repair shop.

A rebuild kit is about $300, and not sure I'll do it myself. Is the best thing to do to REBUILD or REPLACE?

As far as replacement, what motors are "direct" swaps?

I found these on Surplus Center:
726cc 21.5 HP Kawasaki Vertical Shaft Engine w/Muffler FR651V
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Engin...cal-Shaft-Engine-w-Muffler-FR651V-28-1930.axd

726cc 21.5 HP Kawasaki Vertical Shaft Engine FR651V
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Engin...saki-Vertical-Shaft-Engine-FR651V-28-1926.axd

Breezmeister

LawnSite Silver Member
Before you go buying an engine, make sure the crank on the JD Kaw is 1" dia and not 1 1/8th like most of all JD Kaws Both the engines you linked to are 1" Dia......

flintknapper

LawnSite Senior Member
Before you go buying an engine, make sure the crank on the JD Kaw is 1" dia and not 1 1/8th like most of all JD Kaws Both the engines you linked to are 1" Dia......
^^^^^
Yep. Excellent point.

The Kaw on my Skag is also 1"-1/8 but the same engine is available in a 1". Of course... the shaft length is important too.

Breezmeister

LawnSite Silver Member
Is there a way to get that information/measurements while the motor is still on the mower?

Dial caliper, ruler, measuring tape and crawl under there and measure it. If you know someone that has access to JD that can give you the spec on that engine, FH661V-BS06-R.
Maybe one of the on-line engine suppliers might be able to find out for you.....

FWIW, Kawasaki only list AS05, BS05 and CS05, so your BS06 is a JD only engine

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
If you can remove the clutch, measure the inside of the bearings and you can measure the shaft length

OP
F

FIRESCOOBY

LawnSite Bronze Member
The mower is still at the repair shop as he won't be back in until mid week. I called Kawasaki and they said they had NO information on this motor as it is manufactured by John Deere and they are not allowed to give out any information.

This is the second Kawasaki I've had that has had significant issues before 1000 hours, it'll be my last.