1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki trimmer engine speed

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Likestomow, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I have three KBL-26A trimmers and all are one year old. One runs real strong and the other two not so good. I took the carbs off all of them about 2 months ago and cleaned them out, so they all got the same treatment, but one just runs faster.

Does anyone have any idea why the other two are lagging? I have removed the spark arresters on all of them right from the beginning. I am using Opti-2 oil and do not have any smoke.

I just wonder if there reall might be some adjustment or trick to "hopping-up" these little engines.

2. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

How many rpms are they turning?

3. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

No two engines will ever run the same.
    Some have a little better compression, carb adjust, plug,etc. etc. etc.

4. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Well I got a surprise when I took the muffler off one of the slower machines and found some carbon in the exhaust port. I scraped it with a little awl, then with the square side of a file, and then with some emery cloth. I got most of the carbon off, then sprayed it down good with some brake cleaner.

I put the plug back on and the muffler and started it up. I was surprised to find the RPM's significantly higher. It had great response and almost as many R's as the better trimmer. I was completely satisfied with my effort and will now do the same to the other slower trimmer. I now realize this will have to become part of my annual PM done over the winter. I think I’ll add all my 2-cycle equipment to this list.

5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Never ever use anything metallic in an exhaust port. Use wood or plastic because the last thing you want to do is scratch the port or piston.

Shindaiwa furnishes a little red plastic screw driver with a lot of their units. This plastic screw driver is actually a carbon scraper.

Oldtimer

6. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I will say metal objects can, and more than likely will damage the piston if you hit it with something like a screwdriver. when you remove the carbon, make SURE it doesnt go into the cylinder, and if it does, clean it out ASAP or it WILL damage something.