1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Kawi FX730V Blew Up

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by weeze, Nov 14, 2017.

1. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

fx730v engine blew up today at just under 1200hrs. others on here have gotten a replacement engine free of charge because of a manufacturing defect so i'm hoping for the same.

[​IMG][​IMG]

GrassManKzoo likes this.
  2. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

:clapping:That’s awesome and terrible at the same time... i was always told if your gonna do something do it rightThumbs Up

3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

:laugh:

i think Mark Oomkes had the same thing happen to 2 of his mowers. there was some kind of defect in these engine back then. it's from 2011.

GrassManKzoo likes this.
  4. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Silver Member

That looks like John Deere green. Is it? If so, you’ll be dealing with them and not Kawasaki.

5. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Hoping for the best for you, Weeze.

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

it's still done with kawasaki but you go through deere. deere deals with them for you.

DXN1EL and Ridin' Green like this.
  7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah it's one of those things. if you get a new engine it's awesome because you get a brand new engine for free....but if they don't give you one then you feel like you got ripped off since the engine only lasted 1200hrs. let's hope i get a new engine.

larryinalabama and sjessen like this.
  8. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Gold Member

I just recieved a brand new FS691V two week's ago. It was on a 2016 Gravely Proturn. Had 625hrs on it. It didn't blow up. But had a serious vibration starting at 75 hrs.
    I also received a brand new engine on my 2015 Proturn the clutch keyway on crankshaft was cut to wide and clutch sheared key off and spun on crankshaft ruining crank. So they sent new eng for that mower also. Same engines.

sjessen, Ridin' Green and weeze like this.
  9. jonnystihl

jonnystihl LawnSite Member

What was the defect?

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i forget. i haven't taken it to the dealer yet. it was a common problem on this engine back in 2011.

it's some part that fails because it wasn't manufactured correctly. i think mark's engines made it to 1250hrs and 1500hrs or something like that. maybe 1800hrs at the most before they failed.

it's not from improper maintenance. i've always changed the oil and filter every 100hrs and the oil was at the full mark when this happened. engine fins always have been blown out so nothing causing the engine to overheat or anything like that. air filters kept clean and replaced regularly. it's all on kawasaki at this point.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017