Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont know what to do any more this will be my forth post about my kawasaki engine needing to be fixed...ive replaced the air, fuel, and oil filters ive changed the oil ive changed the fuel line ive changed the fuel pump and retaining clamps ive taken apart and thoroughly cleaned the carb with gumout and still i have the same issue. basically at idle the engine is fine no fluctuations in rpm or anything of the sort. however as soon as i begin to give it more throttle OR open the choke more the engine begins to sputter and will eventually die. however if i mow at half throttle and almost closed choke their isnt much of an issue except i am mowing at half throttle lol. but seriously i need some more ideas here im about out of them myself and im begining to think this could be a serious governor problem. the engine is the kawasaki fh680v its 23 hp.

any suggestions gratefully welcomed

·
Registered
94 Posts
From what your describing I would think it is diffenently a fuel delivery issue. You need a certain fuel to air ratio for combustion. It's like kicking a field goal, the ratio has to be somewhere in between the goal posts.
~~As you attempt to throttle up the air is increasing but the fuel can's keep up so it sputters and dies. As the air flow increased without the fuel to you changed the ratio out of the combustable range.

~~Running at half throttle with the choke on is basically correcting the ratio. The fuel will only come so fast so you use the choke to cut down the air flow and bring the ratio back into the combustable range.

It seems like you have replaced everything already, could your carb be shot? Possibly a clogged jet that the gumout could get to? Maybe try disconnecting the linkage to the governor.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the ideas so far i think i will take apart the carb tomorrow for another intensive cleaning.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Could be a bunch of things. Plugged or pinched fuel line, fuel selector valve plugged or leaking air, loose pulse hose for fuel pump, trash in the tank or tank vent, trash in the carb, fuel solenoid sticking, ...

You can try running about 2 feet of fuel line straight above the carb with gasoline in it and see what happens. If it runs well for a few seconds until it burns the fuel, then you've eliminated the carb as the problem. If it still runs bad, you've eliminated the fuel supply.

·
Banned
4,484 Posts
Sounds like fuel delivery.

Could a cracked fuel line cause this? When it demands more fuel the suction is not sufficient?

I know my kawasaki engines need frequent fuel filter changes. No idea why, but they have problems with filters clogging when the Kohlers never did.

·
Registered
299 Posts
It sounds like a fuel deliveryas already mentioned. I would consider bringing to a dealer before you drive yourself crazy. It can cost you more money changing parts than a dealer checking it out.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Is there a fuel shutoff valve that is partially closed?

Try to bypass the fuel system and inject fuel directly into the carb. That should narrow things down. If it runs well, you have a fuel delivery problem in the lines, shutoff valve, pump, tank, etc. If it runs poorly like before, you have a carb problem.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
You can try running about 2 feet of fuel line straight above the carb with gasoline in it and see what happens. If it runs well for a few seconds until it burns the fuel, then you've eliminated the carb as the problem. If it still runs bad, you've eliminated the fuel supply.
That is a good suggestion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.