1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

kawi trouble starting after getting wet

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ajordan193, Jul 28, 2006.

1. ajordan193

ajordan193 LawnSite Senior Member
    from WNY

I've noticed that every time i either hose off the mower or get caught in the rain the engine won't start back up or either stalls. (19hp kawi on a scag tiger cub) Any ideas on whats going on here? Also this happens if i barely get the engine wet.

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

No gaurantee, but I would blow off the spark plug wires and recesses with compressed air or blower. Works for me.

Dutch

3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have this complaint alot on these kawi engines pull both plug boots and add some dielectric grease to the boots. Hope this helps:)

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You may want to check into this;
    Had a customer with the same engine and same problem, Every time he got caught in the rain it wouldn't start afterwords. I pulled the air filter and found water in the bottom of the air filter base, Blew it out and it cranked up. I put O-rings on the cover hold-down nuts and he hasn't complained since. Just make sure the O-rings fit the recess area on the nut and protrude enough to seal.

5. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

When I have had this problem it was always a sing to me that the plug wires/boots were cracked. And it was not long until I would need a new coil.

6. ajordan193

ajordan193 LawnSite Senior Member
    from WNY

Thanks for the replys i'll try some of your ideas tomorrow