1. Free Webinar: Why the Growth of Propane Deserves Your Attention
    Date: Thursday, April 25th
    Time: 11:00am EST
    Find out how switching to propane can save your company time and money. Click here to register
    Dismiss Notice

KBB in Charlotte?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by noswal, Nov 3, 2018.

1. noswal

noswal LawnSite Member

Hello- where is the best place to find? I know it can have mixed results here but I'm pretty doing pretty ok with KBB blends that I'm overseeing with. Would like to try for a stronger concentration.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

If you mean Kentucky bluegrass, yes, you are a bit two far south--unless Charlotte is up in the mountains. If you have irrigation and are ready for an occasional overseed--it may work. Really you are in tall fescue country. Get a modern type tall fescue, dark green, with high resistance to brown patch, and also a high level of LS (lateral spreading ability). This LS trait gives it self-repair ability, and the spreading results in increased density.

The big seed companies like to deal in large quantities, using regional salesmen. For amounts under 50 pounds I suggest dealing with a local landscape supply company. Or just get Scotts. Avoid the cheap seed. Avoid anything with perennial rye in the mix.
    If you want something extra special and don't mind paying a bit more for disease resistance, then:
    Seedland.com.
    Or try Outsidepride.com.
    Maybe http://newsomseed.com/grassseedvarieties.html
    in Maryland.

3. jlbf0786

jlbf0786 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Charlotte, NC

We're in Charlotte, you'll never have a good stand of Kentucky blue down here.. it's getting to the point where I'm seeing a huge upside to Bermuda

4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

i'd agree. especially if your in the city since it'll be even hotter there due to the heat bubble effect. That said there TTF is the go to if they want year round green. And fungicide.

5. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

I looked at temps in Charlotte for July and August this year. Highs are similar but a little lower than in SW Idaho, and almost everyone has a KBG lawn. The only farm in town that even grows fescue sod is special order and expensive.

Does the humidity make it worse? I mean I know it sucks for people, but does the grass suffer more too? We are dry as a bone here.

6. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

What ratio are the blends you are using now?

KBG is a small seed, rye is about 50% larger and fescue about double the size. If you are just looking at the % by weight it's not an accurate measurement of the actual seed count.

7. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

High humidity makes all the difference in between here in NC and Idaho. Cool season grass is a gamble here, it almost always gets hammered in July and August. And i'm 80 miles North of Charlotte. I can't imagine trying to grow Fescue there, much less KBG. Thats Bermuda country for sure.

That Guy Gary likes this.