Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I had a local landscaper put in KBG sod for me last year in my front yard, which is full sun. It's been great, no issues. I'm in Chicago. I am having him replace the entire backyard now, which is mostly shade, some sun, but not much. A lot of trees. He tore up the backyard last week and it's ready for new sod which he said he was going to come do Sunday. But he told me today they only have "sun" KBG sod in stock, and the "shade" sod is a few weeks out. I am fine waiting, but want to confirm with you all here since I'm new to this - is there a sun version of KBG sod and a shade version at local suppliers? or is it all typically the same. Thanks!

·
Registered
835 Posts
The shade sod he refers to is most likely a tall fescue variety, as very few, if any, sod farms grow fine fescue varieties. If you have dense shade both bluegrass and tall fescue will eventually thin out. You might be better off having him seed the back with an actual shade grass blend.

·
Super Moderator
19,099 Posts
This is a good sign.
It means he is actually waiting for the shade sod to arrive. Maybe from a distant sod farm.
Some landscapers might actually use the same sod and just pretend it is a different, more shade-tolerant blend.
In any case, you might consider having a tree company trim your trees ( in a professional and artistic manner) to allow more sun to hit the new grass.
You need about 4 hours of sun per day to grow bluegrass. Fine fescue or turf-type tall fescue can survive on less sun. After that, consider myrtle or another type of ground cover, local favorites suited to your climate.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The shade sod that we use, has a near zero tolerance for sunlight. Unless there is 100% tree coverage we have almost
Stopped using it. We did with standard sod, and immediately overseed with shade mix. We tell the client to overseed twice per year

·
Registered
835 Posts
The shade sod that we use, has a near zero tolerance for sunlight. Unless there is 100% tree coverage we have almost
Stopped using it. We did with standard sod, and immediately overseed with shade mix. We tell the client to overseed twice per year
You seem very knowledgeable regarding business practices and battery powered equipment but unless you can post a link to the sod farm or the varieties of turfgrass in the sod, it is my opinion this post is nonsense. No turfgrass will thrive under 100% shade.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You seem very knowledgeable regarding business practices and battery powered equipment but unless you can post a link to the sod farm or the varieties of turfgrass in the sod, it is my opinion this post is nonsense. No turfgrass will thrive under 100% shade.
That's correct. While some varieties are more shade TOLERANT than others, there is no turfgrass that will survive in 100% shade. This is what I describe to my clients as deep shade.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts